Outwell Swifts’ sub-zero strip for training
The wintry conditions saw football games postponed across the county at the weekend but one unlucky village team were made to train in their underwear following a heavy defeat the week before.
The Outwell Swifts were due to play Ely City 'A' on Saturday in a Cambridgeshire Kershaw Senior B league game but the match was cancelled due to a frozen pitch.
So to make up for an 8-0 drubbing the week before against Longstanton they were told to strip to their undies for an impromptu training session in sub-zero temperatures at their training ground near Wisbech.
'When the idea was first mooted, I thought it was a wind up because there was no way I was stripping off to train in sub-zero conditions,' said one player through chattering teeth.
'But after the first two took off their warm clothing, the rest soon followed suit, probably due to peer pressure, and we just carried on training - as you do.
You may also want to watch:
'It was absolutely freezing but we got through it and I think it was great for team morale. The shower after training was probably the best I've ever had.'
The centre back added: 'I don't think it will be something we will be trying again for our warm up ahead of our next game.'
- 1 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 2 Man and woman found dead in home
- 3 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 4 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 5 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 6 Car catches fire after early morning crash
- 7 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 8 Man re-arrested over murder of missing 83-year-old Pat Holland
- 9 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 10 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
The Swifts currently sit 13th in the Kershaw Senior B league having won once away from home all season.
The Fenland village side are back in league action against Cambridge City Reserves on Saturday, January 8 at the Outwell Playing Fields.