Olympic medallist Sharron Davies becomes Beccles Lido patron
AN Olympic medallist and MBE has become a patron of Beccles Lido.
Former swimmer Sharron Davies has taken on the position after learning about the award-winning group on social networking site Twitter.
The multi-medal winning swimmer spoke to director Eric Wareham through the site about the open-air swimming pool, the work the volunteers had done and their Big Society Award. And much to Mr Wareham's delight accepted his offer of becoming a patron.
Ms Davies said: 'As a passionate supporter of swimming for the community and as a patron of many charities, but not a lido, I was thrilled to be asked to support Beccles.
'The community has really rallied around to make sure that this project has been a success. There are so few lidos left in good working order around the country and so many that close down, it's great to be part of a group that have been recognised by the Prime Minister through his Big Society Award.'
She added: 'I know that Mr Cameron is a patron of Chipping Norton lido so, as a swimmer, it's great to put my name to this worthy cause. Lidos need all the help they can get and the work will not stop even though Beccles Lido had a successful first season last year.
'I hope that my patronage of Beccles Lido will not only draw more attention and support to this worthy community cause but that it will also encourage others to get involved in community projects especially linked to swimming.'
- 1 A coach 'filled with people' and a van crash on the NDR
- 2 Broads pub once visited by Chelsea players shuts for good
- 3 Heavy winds set to hit Norfolk as yellow weather warning issued
- 4 One person rescued after crash on A47
- 5 ‘We need action now’: Flood hit Broads business backs river barrier calls
- 6 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 7 Norwich City transfer rumours: Idah out, Hugill back in for Canaries?
- 8 Three cars crash near Swainsthorpe on Norwich Road
- 9 Ambulance chief: 'I'm sorry.... things will get worse before they get better'
- 10 Tribute to keen mountain biker who died on ride
Mr Wareham said that as a notable figure in swimming, Ms Davies was an ideal patron and hoped she would be able to visit after her London 2012 Olympics commitments.
He added that Beccles Lido Limited (BLL) is also looking for a figure involved in the arts and theatre to support Beccles Public Hall, which the group is currently in the process of taking over.