Olympic medallist Sharron Davies becomes Beccles Lido patron
AN Olympic medallist and MBE has become a patron of Beccles Lido.
Former swimmer Sharron Davies has taken on the position after learning about the award-winning group on social networking site Twitter.
The multi-medal winning swimmer spoke to director Eric Wareham through the site about the open-air swimming pool, the work the volunteers had done and their Big Society Award. And much to Mr Wareham's delight accepted his offer of becoming a patron.
Ms Davies said: 'As a passionate supporter of swimming for the community and as a patron of many charities, but not a lido, I was thrilled to be asked to support Beccles.
'The community has really rallied around to make sure that this project has been a success. There are so few lidos left in good working order around the country and so many that close down, it's great to be part of a group that have been recognised by the Prime Minister through his Big Society Award.'
You may also want to watch:
She added: 'I know that Mr Cameron is a patron of Chipping Norton lido so, as a swimmer, it's great to put my name to this worthy cause. Lidos need all the help they can get and the work will not stop even though Beccles Lido had a successful first season last year.
'I hope that my patronage of Beccles Lido will not only draw more attention and support to this worthy community cause but that it will also encourage others to get involved in community projects especially linked to swimming.'
- 1 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 2 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 3 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 4 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 5 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 6 Couple sell pub with Nelson link after council stops dream project
- 7 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 8 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 9 Derelict pub on eyesore site could be turned into new Co-op store
- 10 Norwich sonic boom: RAF confirms jet 'inadvertently' caused bang over city
Mr Wareham said that as a notable figure in swimming, Ms Davies was an ideal patron and hoped she would be able to visit after her London 2012 Olympics commitments.
He added that Beccles Lido Limited (BLL) is also looking for a figure involved in the arts and theatre to support Beccles Public Hall, which the group is currently in the process of taking over.