Olympic-inspired gardening festival to be held in Norwich
Norwich gardeners are being urged to share their passion for green spaces as part of a festival in the run up to next year's Olympics.
The Educational Centres Association (ECA), based in the city, is organising a Gardens and Green Spaces Festival to take place from May to July 2012.
It is hoped the event, which will coincide with the Queen's Jubilee and the Olympic Torch Relay, will help celebrate Norwich's green heritage and get more people involved in gardening and the city's green spaces.
The idea for the festival came after former Norwich schoolgirl Rachel Read designed a garden for the London 2012 site.
Her garden was unveiled at Stratford last month.
You may also want to watch:
It is planned to have activities for people of all ages which focus on gardening and horticulture. There will also be events in green spaces within the city such as guided walks, art workshops and outdoor exercise and fitness classes.
Bernard Godding, chairman of the ECA, said: 'We are also looking for individuals who would be prepared to open their gardens as part of an open garden weekend.
- 1 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 2 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 3 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 4 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 5 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 6 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 7 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 8 Out on the beat - we join police Covid patrol on the seafront
- 9 A life in agony: 27-year-old's daily torture battling constant pain
- 10 Man's neck broken after being hit by 800kg load which fell off forklift
'This is an exciting opportunity for the whole community to come together and do things which are fun, health giving and green.'
To get involved in festival, contact Susie White on 01603 464937 or email susie.white@ e-c-a.ac.uk
Have you got an Olympics story for the Evening News? Call reporter Kate Scotter on 01603 772326 or email firstname.lastname@example.org