Olly Stone shrugs off finger injury to claim four wickets on England Under-19 Test debut

A four-wicket burst from Norfolk paceman Olly Stone gave England U19s the upper hand on day two of their four-day Test against South Africa U19s at Cape Town's Newland's ground.

The Brundall-based Vauxhall Mallards player, who found himself in the captaincy hot-seat after injury to Shiv Thakor, showed his value with the bat on day one with a tailend 29, which along with Ed Barnard's unbeaten 107 helped the side to 277 for seven.

Worcestershire's Barnard, who had arrived at the crease with the score on 89 for five, added seven to his overnight score and number 10 Miles Hammond weighed in with a plucky 39 before England's innings closed on 313 yesterday.

A steady start saw the hosts progress to 120 for three in reply. Stone, who had been forced to wait to bring himself on after suffering a dislocated finger in the warm-up, received the all-clear from the ECB medical team to enter the attack and he made the key breakthrough when he bowled opener Murray Coetzee for 50.

After the removal of their anchorman South Africa quickly fell deeper into trouble with Stone claiming the wickets of middle order men Vassilli Orros for a duck with his next ball, then David Bedingham (21) and Michael Fassen (9) all to catches.

Stone ended with excellent figures of four for 40 from 11 overs as the South African innings ended on 194. Pace bowler Craig Kirsten was unable to bat because of a lower back stress fracture which could keep him out for two months.

England reached 24 without loss at the close and at lunch on the third day they had taken their score on to 79 for two, a lead of 198.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter