Ogogo boxed with the injury that ended his fight

Anthony Ogogo (left) and Craig Cunningham during the vacant WBC International Middleweight Champions

Anthony Ogogo (left) and Craig Cunningham during the vacant WBC International Middleweight Championship bout at the Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Saturday October 22, 2016. See PA story BOXING Birmingham. Photo credit should read: Nick Potts/PA Wire - Credit: PA

Anthony Ogogo faces a long spell on the sidelines after it was revealed he sustained a broken eye socket BEFORE the first professional defeat of his career at the weekend.

The 27-year-old Lowestoft middleweight looked well below par during his WBC International title fight against Craig Cunningham in Birmingham before being retired by his corner in the eight round.

It has been revealed that he was withdrawn after suffering from severely blurred double vision as a result of a broken eye socket which, according to expert opinion, was suffered in the build-up to the fight.

No timescale has been put on Ogogo's recovery by his team, with promoter Kalle Sauerland confirming only that their sights are set on a comeback next year.

A statement on www.sauerlandpromotion.com read: 'A leading eye specialist has now confirmed he believes that due to the nature of the scan results the injury was caused, yet not known at the time, before the fight and as such resulted in Ogogo having visibility issues severe enough to be retired.

You may also want to watch:

'He will now be forced to take time out to seek the best possible medical advice in order to understand the extent of the damage before making any plans for the future.'

Ogogo admitted he was going through a tough time – but insisted he was fully focussed on getting back into the ring.

Most Read

'Firstly I would like to congratulate Craig Cunningham, his coach John Pegg and all of his team,' he said. 'They showed true class and I take nothing away from them.

'After seeing an eye specialist today it turns out that I have fractured my eye socket in two places. Given this my vision and balance were affected to the point that I had to be pulled out.

'As soon as I went back to the corner after the first round I realised something was wrong, although at the time was unaware of the extent of it. Despite being bitterly disappointed I would like to thank my corner for pulling me out.

'Boxing is a tough sport and despite wanting to try and get through the fight on Saturday I realise my health must come first.

'This is obviously an incredibly tough time for me. I have overcome a lot of adversity previously and now face an uncertain time in terms of my eyesight, with now another mountain to climb.

'However, I am ready for the challenge and will be giving everything I have to get back in the ring and to achieve my full potential.'

Promoter Sauerland added: 'It was clear from the first round that Ant had difficulties finding his range and timing and that something was off.

'We will now focus on recovery before launching a comeback in 2017. Perhaps directly with a rematch if that can be made.

'Hats off to Cunningham and his team for taking full advantage and boxing superbly.'

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus