AFC Hornchurch 1 Norwich United 0: Late heartbreak for Planters
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
Norwich United's excellent resilient display against the league leaders counted for nothing when they conceded an excellent late strike from George Purcell.
The Planters had defended resolutely and threatened to strike on the counter before the AFC Hornchurch striker hit his 88th minute shot into the top corner from 20 yards.
In a game of few clear-cut chances it was the Planters who forced the first save, Adam Hipperson's shot well saved low down by the Urchins keeper Sam Mott.
Although the hosts dominated possession it was only a Kenzer Lee header from a corner which hit the post which penetrated the defence.
The Planters did have the ball in the net just before the break when Liam Jackson converted Hipperson's cross from an offside position.
You may also want to watch:
With the hosts pushing up the Planters caught them on the break and Nathan Stewart twice shot off target and Sam Applegate curled a shot against the far upright before that late heartbreak.
AFC Hornchurch: Mott, Hursit, Porter, Lee, Cooper, Oluwatimilehin (Styles 63), Livings, Roberts, Fairweather-Johnson (McKenzie 85), Purcell, Warner (Joseph 68). Unused subs: Bentley, Assombalonga.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 3 Flood warnings along Norfolk coast, with Wells flood gate in place
- 4 Family's tribute to 'gentle giant' killed in A134 crash
- 5 Yarmouth man convicted of historic rape after DNA match
- 6 Crash blocks road off A47 at Honingham
- 7 Former sixth form land could be divided up and sold
- 8 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 9 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 10 54-home plan delayed due to 'nightmare' traffic concerns
Norwich United: Wilton, Probert (Hitch 81), Applegate, Wones, Eastaugh (Carroll 90), Watts, Jones, Pollock, Jackson, Stewart, Hipperson. Unused subs: Mackie, Datocampol.
Referee: Chris Bodell. Assistants: Micheal Heavey & Martin Cannon.