AFC Hornchurch 1 Norwich United 0: Late heartbreak for Planters
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
Norwich United's excellent resilient display against the league leaders counted for nothing when they conceded an excellent late strike from George Purcell.
The Planters had defended resolutely and threatened to strike on the counter before the AFC Hornchurch striker hit his 88th minute shot into the top corner from 20 yards.
In a game of few clear-cut chances it was the Planters who forced the first save, Adam Hipperson's shot well saved low down by the Urchins keeper Sam Mott.
Although the hosts dominated possession it was only a Kenzer Lee header from a corner which hit the post which penetrated the defence.
The Planters did have the ball in the net just before the break when Liam Jackson converted Hipperson's cross from an offside position.
You may also want to watch:
With the hosts pushing up the Planters caught them on the break and Nathan Stewart twice shot off target and Sam Applegate curled a shot against the far upright before that late heartbreak.
AFC Hornchurch: Mott, Hursit, Porter, Lee, Cooper, Oluwatimilehin (Styles 63), Livings, Roberts, Fairweather-Johnson (McKenzie 85), Purcell, Warner (Joseph 68). Unused subs: Bentley, Assombalonga.
- 1 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 2 Fire tears through historic Thorpe pub
- 3 Four national high street names to move into former M&S store
- 4 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 5 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 6 Store open despite positive Covid test at town centre Sainsbury's
- 7 Vaccines roll-out to move on to over 70s
- 8 Delays as 23m-long caravan travels through Norfolk
- 9 Norfolk to get rapid Covid test sites - to find people without symptoms
- 10 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
Norwich United: Wilton, Probert (Hitch 81), Applegate, Wones, Eastaugh (Carroll 90), Watts, Jones, Pollock, Jackson, Stewart, Hipperson. Unused subs: Mackie, Datocampol.
Referee: Chris Bodell. Assistants: Micheal Heavey & Martin Cannon.