Troubles deepen as Norwich United slip to bottom spot
- Credit: Archant Eastern Daily Press
Norwich United slipped to bottom position – and the sole relegation place – after defeat at Barking coupled with Romford's goalless draw at home to Potters Bar Town.
The Planters got off to the worst possible start when Ben O'Brien bundled home at the far post from a quickly-taken third-minute free-kick on the right.
Adam Hipperson forced a good save from home keeper Chris Clark to preserve the hosts' lead at the break. Andy Wilton made two good saves, but a Kiernan Hughes-Mason free-kick from the left was missed by Kemo Darboe and went through the keeper's legs 11 minutes after the break. Substitute Damon Cooper gave the Planters hope with 17 minutes to go, shooting home from close range for his first goal for the club. But Hughes-Mason sealed the points two minutes from time, beating Wilton to a long ball forward.
Barking: Clark, Tabard, Ramadan (Taylor 85), O'Brien, Benoit, Da Cruz, Monville, Seymour, Darboe (Jones 75), Hughes-Mason (Adeyemi 90), Levett. Subs not used: Peart, Reynolds.
Planters: Wilton, Applegate, Barker, Mackie, Wones, Watts, Pollock (Cooper 69), Jones, Stewart, Jackson (Carey 33), Hipperson. Subs not used: Probert, Haylett.
You may also want to watch:
Referee: Tom Fell. Attendance: 85.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 3 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 4 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 5 Seal charity to take 'unprecendented' action to protect Norfolk seal colony
- 6 Two people arrested during police operation in south Norfolk
- 7 Furious Scout group demands apology from council in unpaid rents saga
- 8 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
- 9 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 10 'A lovely talented man': Tributes to Cromer Pier Show headliner Phil Butler