Troubles deepen as Norwich United slip to bottom spot
- Credit: Archant Eastern Daily Press
Norwich United slipped to bottom position – and the sole relegation place – after defeat at Barking coupled with Romford's goalless draw at home to Potters Bar Town.
The Planters got off to the worst possible start when Ben O'Brien bundled home at the far post from a quickly-taken third-minute free-kick on the right.
Adam Hipperson forced a good save from home keeper Chris Clark to preserve the hosts' lead at the break. Andy Wilton made two good saves, but a Kiernan Hughes-Mason free-kick from the left was missed by Kemo Darboe and went through the keeper's legs 11 minutes after the break. Substitute Damon Cooper gave the Planters hope with 17 minutes to go, shooting home from close range for his first goal for the club. But Hughes-Mason sealed the points two minutes from time, beating Wilton to a long ball forward.
Barking: Clark, Tabard, Ramadan (Taylor 85), O'Brien, Benoit, Da Cruz, Monville, Seymour, Darboe (Jones 75), Hughes-Mason (Adeyemi 90), Levett. Subs not used: Peart, Reynolds.
Planters: Wilton, Applegate, Barker, Mackie, Wones, Watts, Pollock (Cooper 69), Jones, Stewart, Jackson (Carey 33), Hipperson. Subs not used: Probert, Haylett.
You may also want to watch:
Referee: Tom Fell. Attendance: 85.
- 1 Large police presence in Norfolk village after person dies on boat
- 2 Latest situation at Norfolk hospitals sees covid-related admissions remain static
- 3 Village pub offers 'proper' 1p 'Penne-y Pasta' dish with alcoholic drink
- 4 Schools close early for Christmas after outbreak of 11 Covid cases
- 5 30,000 Christmas turkeys to be culled in bird flu outbreak
- 6 Parts of Norfolk see heavy snow falls with more to come
- 7 Man denies running Japanese restaurant from Norwich home for the third time
- 8 Workmen unearth six skeletons during city street overhaul
- 9 Stubborn swan squares up to traffic in Norfolk village
- 10 Delays expected as 48-ton boat is transported through Suffolk and Norfolk