Troubles deepen as Norwich United slip to bottom spot
- Credit: Archant Eastern Daily Press
Norwich United slipped to bottom position – and the sole relegation place – after defeat at Barking coupled with Romford's goalless draw at home to Potters Bar Town.
The Planters got off to the worst possible start when Ben O'Brien bundled home at the far post from a quickly-taken third-minute free-kick on the right.
Adam Hipperson forced a good save from home keeper Chris Clark to preserve the hosts' lead at the break. Andy Wilton made two good saves, but a Kiernan Hughes-Mason free-kick from the left was missed by Kemo Darboe and went through the keeper's legs 11 minutes after the break. Substitute Damon Cooper gave the Planters hope with 17 minutes to go, shooting home from close range for his first goal for the club. But Hughes-Mason sealed the points two minutes from time, beating Wilton to a long ball forward.
Barking: Clark, Tabard, Ramadan (Taylor 85), O'Brien, Benoit, Da Cruz, Monville, Seymour, Darboe (Jones 75), Hughes-Mason (Adeyemi 90), Levett. Subs not used: Peart, Reynolds.
Planters: Wilton, Applegate, Barker, Mackie, Wones, Watts, Pollock (Cooper 69), Jones, Stewart, Jackson (Carey 33), Hipperson. Subs not used: Probert, Haylett.
You may also want to watch:
Referee: Tom Fell. Attendance: 85.
- 1 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 2 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 3 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 4 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 5 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 6 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 7 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 8 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 9 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 10 Man's neck broken after being hit by 800kg load which fell off forklift