Home defeat leaves Norwich United hovering above danger zone
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A second-half brace from Tom Richardson, combined with results elsewhere, condemned Norwich United to a tense few days ahead of their trip to bottom side Romford on Wednesday evening.
The Planters find themselves just three points ahead of Romford with six games remaining although Steve Eastaugh's men have a significant goal difference advantage.
Aveley led at the break when a cut-back from the right found George Doyle and his shot deflected past Andy Wilton off the back of Calvin Ekpiteta in the 41st minute. The Millers doubled their lead five minutes after the break when Richardson squeezed the ball home at the near post.
Matt Blake was twice denied as the Planters tried to reduce the arrears, drawing a fine save from Rhys Madden with a lovely shot on the turn before seeing a goalbound side foot cleared off the line by Russell Malton. Richardson sealed a deserved Aveley victory six minutes from time.
Norwich United: Wilton, Barker (Applegate 83), Rose, Wones, Eastaugh, Watts, Stewart, Jones, Pollock (Jackson 59), Blake (Carey 79), Hipperson. Sub not used sub: Mackie.
You may also want to watch:
Aveley: Madden, Malton, Sampayo, Witherspoon, Cosson, Keizor-Burrows, Kelly, Doyle, Richardson, Teniola (Stephenson 82), Ekpiteta (Bourne 79). Subs not used: Walker, Gard.
Referee: Andy Gray.
- 1 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 2 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 3 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 4 Neighbours of murdered woman tell of terrifying scene in close
- 5 Sales rep who died at nature reserve named at inquest
- 6 No-frills Norwich pub offers top-notch food and every dish is under £8
- 7 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 8 Police name murder victim, who died of 'severe head injury'
- 9 Firefighters dash to tackle blaze at coastal holiday resort
- 10 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named