Home defeat leaves Norwich United hovering above danger zone
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A second-half brace from Tom Richardson, combined with results elsewhere, condemned Norwich United to a tense few days ahead of their trip to bottom side Romford on Wednesday evening.
The Planters find themselves just three points ahead of Romford with six games remaining although Steve Eastaugh's men have a significant goal difference advantage.
Aveley led at the break when a cut-back from the right found George Doyle and his shot deflected past Andy Wilton off the back of Calvin Ekpiteta in the 41st minute. The Millers doubled their lead five minutes after the break when Richardson squeezed the ball home at the near post.
Matt Blake was twice denied as the Planters tried to reduce the arrears, drawing a fine save from Rhys Madden with a lovely shot on the turn before seeing a goalbound side foot cleared off the line by Russell Malton. Richardson sealed a deserved Aveley victory six minutes from time.
Norwich United: Wilton, Barker (Applegate 83), Rose, Wones, Eastaugh, Watts, Stewart, Jones, Pollock (Jackson 59), Blake (Carey 79), Hipperson. Sub not used sub: Mackie.
You may also want to watch:
Aveley: Madden, Malton, Sampayo, Witherspoon, Cosson, Keizor-Burrows, Kelly, Doyle, Richardson, Teniola (Stephenson 82), Ekpiteta (Bourne 79). Subs not used: Walker, Gard.
Referee: Andy Gray.
- 1 PE teacher banned after getting drunk and showing her breasts at school prom
- 2 Welcome to our new website
- 3 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
- 4 What was ‘strange stretched circle’ spotted over Norfolk skies?
- 5 Whale washes up off Norfolk coast
- 6 MPs call for Norfolk to be in own coronavirus tier
- 7 Encouraging signs as Covid infection rates plummet in parts of Norfolk
- 8 Plea for help to trace missing heavily pregnant woman
- 9 Four men caught at £2m Norfolk cannabis factory
- 10 More than 50 pupils sent home after student tests positive