Norwich United 2 Maldon & Tiptree 0 – Historic home league win for Planters
- Credit: Seb Daly/Focus Images Limited
Goals either side of half-time from Jamie Speller and Remi Gordon secured Norwich United the points in their first ever home game in the Ryman League, against Maldon & Tiptree.
The Planters, buoyed by their opening day 3-1 win at Great Wakering Rovers on Saturday, maintained their 100pc start to the season with a good hard-working all round display.
The game started at a lively pace and for the visitors Billy Roast fired a shot over in the second minute. The hosts responded immediately with Gordon pressuring a mistake allowing Adam Hipperson to close in on goal, but his shot was deflected behind.
The Planters didn't have it all their own way and Sam Newson, in particular, caused the home defence problems, with one shot well blocked by Andy Eastaugh and another deflected wide.
The deadlock was broken in the 29th minute – Hipperson whipped in a cross from the deep on the right wing towards the back post and Jammers keeper Daniel Wilks could only parry it straight to Speller who calmly struck a side-footed shot inside the near post.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors responded with Newson heading weakly to Andy Wilton and moments later Newson closed down the home keeper but the ball ricocheted wide for a goal kick.
The advantage was doubled on the hour mark with an excellent goal on the break. Matt Brown helped break up an attack, brought the ball out of defence before an exquisite pass set Gordon free. The striker carried the ball past a defender and into the area where he calmly slotted past the advancing Wilks.
- 1 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 4 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 7 Secluded Broads farmhouse in almost 11 acres goes up for sale
- 8 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 9 Plans for seven new supermarkets in Norfolk - but where will they be?
- 10 BMW overturns in ditch after coming off A146
Sub Liam Jackson was denied a goal late on, Wilks parrying his shot over the bar, but the Planters were more than happy with their win.
Norwich United: Andy Wilton, Steve Shipley, Matt Brown, Lee Mason, Andy Eastaugh, Sam Watts, Adam Hipperson, Shaun Wones, Jamie Speller (Liam Jackson 78), Tim Henery (Ben Jones 74), Remy Gordon (Emmanual Machaya 90). Unused Subs: Adam Bennett, Severin Mokake
Maldon & Tiptree: Daniel Wilks, Kyle Hammond, Osale Ogbodu-Wilson, Matthew Lock, George Essuman, Gavin Greenfield (Michael Salako 64), Tarryn Allarakhia, Billy Roast, Sam Newson, Kieran Monlouis, Adam Mills. Subs: Jerry Kamanzi, Joe Claridge, David Levey
Ref: Mr George Byrne