Norwich United 2 Dereham Town 0 – Planters edge frantic derby to leapfrog Magpies
- Credit: Archant
Goals at the end of each half saw Norwich United win this frantic local derby to leapfrog Dereham into 13th position.
The first half was a tale of two saves, as early as the seventh minute Will Viner made a great save to deny Shaun Wones, pushing the Planters' midfielder's header from Nathan Stewart's cross onto the near post before it rolled along the line and was cleared.
Ten minutes before the break home keeper Andy Wilton had to make a good reaction save from Jay Eastoe-Smith's point-blank header from a right-wing corner for the Magpies.
The Planters took the lead in first half injury-time when Joe Jackson had his heels clipped as he ran into the box, Tim Henerey stepped up to send the resultant spot-kick into the roof of the net.
Dereham were pleased to see Stewart's shot from an acute angle go across the face of goal and wide of the post after Viner had palmed away Joe Jackson's shot.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors had a long spell of pressure finished with Dion Frary heading over the bar from a corner and Ryan Crisp fired in a shot to the near post but was denied by Wilton.
Norwich finished strongly and sealed victory in the last minute of normal time when Hipperson's driven cross ricocheted to ex-Magpie Dawid Radomski. The second half substitute finished off an impressive cameo firing his shot through a crowded area and over the line before it could be cleared.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
- 4 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 5 School shuts 20 minutes before opening time after staff Covid case
- 6 Staff lose jobs at retailer Outfit with plans to close permanently
- 7 Groundworks start at site of new McDonald’s restaurant
- 8 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 9 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison
- 10 Driver's lucky escape as lorry ends up in ditch
Norwich United: Wilton, Shipley, Brown, Mason, Watts, Eastaugh, Stewart (Jones 63), Wones, Hipperson, Henery (Radomski 75), J Jackson (Speller 83). Unused subs: Yusuf, L Jackson.
Dereham Town: Viner, Constandachi, Ramm, Linford (Logan 76), Frary (Howes 76), Eastoe-Smith, Hinton, Smith, Gatting, Crisp, Sainsbury-Logan. Unused subs: Beaumont, Black, Mason.
Referee: Richard Owen