Norwich taekwondo ace gets top honour in South Korea
- Credit: Archant
A taekwondo expert from Norwich has become an eighth Dan Grandmaster after passing a test at Kukkiwon, the World Taekwondo headquarters in South Korea.
Kevin Jervis took the exam back in June after an arduous nine months of training which included training in several countries around Europe and Asia.
However, he only learned his official result last month as he became the first British-born athlete to be tested at the Kukkiwon for the eighth Dan rank alongside another instructor from Scotland.
The grading included a physical test on the floor in front of a panel of three Korean ninth Dans, the submission of a comprehensive CV, a 38-page thesis on the development of Taekwondo techniques and an interview with the president of Kukkiwon, Mr OH Hyun Deuk.
Jervis said: 'Many Taekwondo instructors operate independently by creating their own associations and then self-promote themselves to higher Dan ranks but these ranks are not recognised by Kukkiwon or British Taekwondo so I am very proud to have achieved a rank with worldwide recognition.'
You may also want to watch:
Ranks from first to seventh Dan can be taken in your own country provided an authorised Kukkiwon examiner sits on the grading panel but eighth and ninth Dan ranks have to be taken at the Kukkiwon itself.
Jervis is the chief instructor at Norwich WTF Taekwondo. If you are interested in getting into the sport contact the club secretary on 07939191771 or via e mail, firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, the group can be contacted via the Sportspark website. Classes are also taught by this group in the Drayton area of the city.
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 3 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 4 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 5 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 6 Report into woman's murder by jealous ex: 'Employers must do more'
- 7 Homes plan to be revealed for former infant school
- 8 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
- 9 Former village pub for sale as home
- 10 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham