Norwich win comfortably after pulling away in second half

The referee is perfectly positioned to award a try for Norwich at Beeston Hyrne. A partially hidden

The referee is perfectly positioned to award a try for Norwich at Beeston Hyrne. A partially hidden Robbie Bridgstock is the scorer. Picture: Andy Micklethwaite - Credit: Archant

Norwich had made such a passionate start against leaders Rochford the previous week and played such great rugby in the first half of that game that expectations were high on Saturday.

It was therefore disappointing that they made a rather lacklustre start. In fact, it was the visitors who had the better of the early exchanges.

It was perhaps against the run of play when centre Mike Lawton scored halfway out for Norwich after gathering his own kick ahead.

Norwich got into the game after this and created lots of pressure which was rewarded with a further try from Laurence Austin, playing on the flank, which was converted by man-of-the-match Theo Elliott, playing at full-back. Norwich were unable to add to the score before the break, a situation not helped when second row Jack Walsh was yellow-carded.

Leading 12-0 at the break, Norwich started the second half with renewed vigour. They scored after two minutes with a flowing move which resulted in right wing Conan Hoey going over in the corner. This was converted by Elliot with a superb kick from far out.

Minutes later he scored a fine individual try which again he converted to give Norwich a bonus point. Further tries followed, with two from scrum-half Robbie Bridgstock, both converted by Elliott, and one from fly-half Chris Parrott with a lovely show and go which saw him touch down under the posts – and again Elliott landed the extras to make it 47-0.

Cantabs then came back into the game and were probably unlucky not to score after Norwich prop Matt Selby was yellow-carded after the referee issued a warning to both sides for killing the ball on the floor.

Most Read

While Selby was off the field the visitors did score from an interception and Cantabs full-back Francois Eve went over under the posts and fly-half Ollie Townsend converted the try to give the visitors some reward for their efforts.

Norwich went straight back up the pitch and two tries, one converted by Elliott the other not from prop Peter Hosking, wrapped up the game. Despite the scoreline Norwich will know that there is work to be done before taking on Woodford away in their next game on January 6.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter