Norwich PDC darts ace Darren Webster is desperate to start closing games out
- Credit: Archant
Darren Webster has vowed to develop a killer instinct as he attempts to make further strides forward in 2015.
The Norwich Professional Darts Corporation (PDC) arrowman showed immense courage to claw his way back from 2-0 down in Sunday's world championship second leg against Dean Winstanley at Alexandra Palace. But it mattered little in the end as the Norfolk hopeful lost a deciding set tiebreaker – something Webster is keen to learn from.
The 46-year-old said: 'I am gutted. It was a big opportunity but I've got to get on with it. There's no point moping about.
'I never, ever, ever give up and if I go behind it makes me more determined. I played some really good darts but I still came second best. It's not the first time it's happened so I've got to start turning that round.
'I need to work on that part of my game as I've shown this year, especially on the circuit, the rest of my game is strong. I'm getting into winning positions and I've just got to learn to start closing games out on the television and that's what I'm going to work hard to do.'
You may also want to watch:
The Demolition Man, who came in for praise from Winstanley after their 4-3 epic at Ally Pally, is continuing to practice every day as he closes in on a top-32 slot. He returns to the oche for competitive action on January 18 for a European Tour qualifier at Wigan.
'When I joined the PDC I said it would take two years to get myself playing like I knew I could,' added Webster. 'This year has been my best yet but it's been a learning curve. It's been a pretty good year, especially on tour. At 2-0 down on the TV against Dean, my floor game came out.
- 1 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 2 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 3 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 4 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 5 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 6 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 7 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 8 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 9 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 10 Pretty thatched cafe on Broads up for sale for £75,000
'I know it's there and I just need to learn to find it more often.'