Norwich off to flying start over Campion
- Credit: Archant
Norwich started their league campaign with a bonus point win against a side that beat them at home last season.
However, they were guilty in the second half of allowing Campion back into the game, which could have seen Campion secure a losing bonus point.
You may also want to watch:
Norwich looked a threat early on with winger Martin Cullum making some good early ground before the hosts were penalised for offside and Campion cleared.
Norwich continued to press and the first score was not long in coming when Chris Parrott broke wide and then fed inside to Michael Campton-Smith who broke free before being grounded in midfield. The Norwich forwards won the ruck and the ball was then passed through several hands before JC Brown scored. He then missed the conversion.
- 1 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 2 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 3 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 4 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 5 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 6 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 7 Child groomer caught by seven paedophile hunter groups
- 8 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 9 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 10 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
Tom Whiskin was unfortunate not to score shortly afterwards when he broke through to charge forward. Craig Dunbar was effective from the base of the scrum and picked up to feed Brown who scored his second. This time he converted his try. Shortly after Brown added another three points through a penalty for offside.
Campion came back into the match as they launched a series of attacks and Norwich conceded a penalty which led to Brown, who was having a busy afternoon, being offered a 10-minute rest by the referee.
Despite some good attacking moves from Campion they couldn't breach the Norwich line, although some stray clearance kicks provided them the opportunity to launch several useful attacks.
Brown, who had now completed his rest period, closed the half with a further score when he darted through a gap from a ruck close to the Campion line.
Norwich started the second half well and some excellent interplay between forwards and backs saw Whiskin break through in the centre before passing to Cullum who beat his man on the inside to score.
Campion opened their scoring following a good drive by the forwards, who crossed the line near the posts – the try was converted. Although Norwich worked back upfield their game was lacking in fluency.
From a scrum on the Campion 22, which the home side won, the ball was fumbled allowing Campion to gain control and race through to score, narrowing the difference to nine points.
The rest of the half was all Campion as they pushed for another score, which would have given them a losing bonus point.
However, Norwich held on to run out winners.