Norwich miss out on promotion to EAPL
Norwich's cricketers missed out on promotion to the East Anglian Premier League when they were beaten by five runs by Suffolk side Woolpit in their promotion play-off.
Woolpit, winners of this year's Two Counties Championship, will take the place of relegated Halstead in the EAPL in 2013.
The home side won the toss and decided to bat and reached 245 for nine in their 50 overs, Dudley Spiers making 97 and Andy Northcote 66, with Norwich skipper Chris Borrett taking three wickets for 31.
In a nail-biting finish, Norfolk Alliance champions Norwich were bowled out for 240 in reply in 49.2 overs.
Frankie Sutton made top score of 42, Ashley Watson 40, Nathan Shearer 39 and Chris Sutton 32. Leading all-rounder Mike Jones took three for 39, and Northcote three for 52.
Norwich were relegated from the EAPL in 2011 but must now wait at least another year in their bid to return.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Weather warning in place as snow falls in parts of Norfolk and Waveney
- 3 Luxury manor for sale with a 'Hobbit house' in the grounds
- 4 School closed its doors for three days after Covid outbreak
- 5 Car flips over in crash near south Norfolk village
- 6 Unfinished barn conversion to go up for sale at auction
- 7 Norwich painter and decorator named best in the country
- 8 Emma Thompson backs Norwich charity which helped her daughter
- 9 Out of control dog attacked and killed sheep, court hears
- 10 OPINION: Delight when 'all you can eat' restaurants get their comeuppance