Norwich duo clinch cup
The Royal Norwich pairing of Sammy Martin and Rebecca Heeles won the Carrick Cup in a cliffhanger of a final at Barnham Broom which went to the second extra hole.
Their par – set up by an excellent drive from Heeles – was enough to end the challenge of Hunstanton's Sue Meadows and Jean Johnson.
The defeat in the inter-club scratch foursomes was the second disappointment in three days for Hunstanton, after their team also lost in the final of the Gillieson Cup.
The Carrick final, played on the lush Valley Course, was exciting throughout and the result was never predictable. Royal Norwich took an early lead after they won the second, but they were pegged back to all square on the par three fourth, where Meadows hit a great shot to within three yards of the hole.
After a series of halved holes Royal Norwich again went ahead by winning the eight and ninth, but again were pulled back by the Hunstanton ladies. The early holes of the inward half frequently changed hands but the two pairs were all square after 16 and halved both the 17th and 18th to take the match into extra time.
You may also want to watch:
The first extra hole was halved but on the second Heeles had an excellent drive which allowed Sammy Martin to fire a superb seven-iron at the pin – and to set up their win.
- 1 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 2 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 3 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 4 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 5 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 6 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 7 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 8 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 9 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 10 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home