Norwich duo clinch cup
The Royal Norwich pairing of Sammy Martin and Rebecca Heeles won the Carrick Cup in a cliffhanger of a final at Barnham Broom which went to the second extra hole.
Their par – set up by an excellent drive from Heeles – was enough to end the challenge of Hunstanton's Sue Meadows and Jean Johnson.
The defeat in the inter-club scratch foursomes was the second disappointment in three days for Hunstanton, after their team also lost in the final of the Gillieson Cup.
The Carrick final, played on the lush Valley Course, was exciting throughout and the result was never predictable. Royal Norwich took an early lead after they won the second, but they were pegged back to all square on the par three fourth, where Meadows hit a great shot to within three yards of the hole.
After a series of halved holes Royal Norwich again went ahead by winning the eight and ninth, but again were pulled back by the Hunstanton ladies. The early holes of the inward half frequently changed hands but the two pairs were all square after 16 and halved both the 17th and 18th to take the match into extra time.
You may also want to watch:
The first extra hole was halved but on the second Heeles had an excellent drive which allowed Sammy Martin to fire a superb seven-iron at the pin – and to set up their win.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 3 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 4 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 5 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 6 Air ambulance and coastguard attend incident on Sheringham beachfront
- 7 Brown Derbies and Bender sausages, when Wimpy ruled fast food
- 8 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 9 Norfolk roadworks to be aware of this week
- 10 Top five Norfolk campsites according to Tripadvisor