Norwich Dragons’ stunning fightback

WOMEN'S EAST LEAGUE: Norwich Dragons inflicted a first defeat of the season on Cambridge University as they recorded a thrilling 4-3 victory to move up to third in Division 1N.

They were 3-1 down at one point but still came out on top in a fiery match, which saw two green cards and one yellow apiece.

The students scored two well worked short corners to grab the initiative but Dragons kept working hard and were rewarded when an accurate cross from Marie James was deflected in by Hannah Hardy.

Cambridge continued their slick passing game after the break, and soon scored their third, but again Dragons fought back. First Natalie Beal scored after some good work by Laura Shreeve and then a well worked short corner saw Marie James slide the ball under the keeper to make it 3-3. Dragons got the winner when Claire Baker expertly dribbled around the keeper and slotted home.

In the same section Watton recorded an excellent 2-1 victory at Saffron Walden thanks to a Lynsey Reeve penalty corner and a well worked goal from Lauren Eyles while Harleston Mapgies II beat St Ives 1-0.

Norwich City went marching on in Division 2NE courtesy of a storming performance in a top of the table clash with Carlton Park, coming out worthy 2-0 winners.

It was an intense game, with both sides competing hard. Carlton started the stronger, with their direct hockey putting early pressure on the City defence.

Most Read

An early turning point was a stunning save from player of match Nat Scurll, who parried away a close-range shot. The galvanised City who began to regain the upper hand. A couple of gilt-edged chances went begging but early after the break Hannah Phillips took advantage of a penalty-spot melee to pounce on a loose ball and put City ahead.

The second goal came from a penalty corner strike by Deb Painter and by that time the game was virtually sealed.

Norwich Dragons II had a productive weekend, winning 3-0 at Loddon before seeing off Sprowston 2-1 in a re-arranged fixture.

Against Loddon Dragons moved 2-0 ahead at the break through Izzie London and Teresa Grant. In the second half Loddon rallied and keeper Sam Jelliff made some timely saves before player of the match Becs Dungay completed the scoring.

The following day Claire Baker put Dragons ahead, only for Sprowston to equalise through Laura Hill before a deflected shot settled the issue.

On Saturday Sprowston lost by the same scoreline, 2-1, at home to UEA with Kerry Hamilton on target.