‘You can’t get away with coming back overweight or not training,’ Russell Martin detects good early signs at Norwich City
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Russell Martin insists there has been no slacking from Norwich City's squad over the summer as they look to mount a genuine Championship promotion push.
City make their public re-appearance on Tuesday night at Lowestoft Town in a friendly which doubles as a testimonial for popular Trawlerboys' stalwart Micky Chapman.
Martin sat out the behind-closed-doors opener at St George's Park against League One Walsall on Saturday but the Scottish international detects some good early signs after a gruelling fitness schedule.
'It has been hard work,' he said. 'The lads have worked extremely hard and as always the case come back in good shape. You can't get away with coming back overweight or not training. We get a programme over the summer that everyone has to follow and that is the case.'
Timm Klose did feature against the Saddlers, after recovering from the knee ligament damage that curtailed his debut season for the Canaries.
The Swiss international was forced to miss his country's Euro 2016 campaign with the injury, and City's international contingent is set to return over the next week after an extended break.
'The lads at the Euros will come in, hopefully with some good rest, and all the squad will be pulling together,' Martin told Norwich City TV during the club's stint at Burton. 'I am sure there will be some comings and goings but it has been a really good start, working with the sports science team and the management on the football side.
- 1 Norfolk beach named among UK's most contaminated
- 2 Overnight works on stretch of A47 prompt 50-mile diversion for two weeks
- 3 New reservoir could secure region's water supply - but will cost over £1bn
- 4 Revealed: Buyer of Norwich Airport Industrial Estate - and what they paid
- 5 Neighbours describe axe brawl in Norfolk village
- 6 Man in his 20s dies after hit-and-run
- 7 A-levels 2022: All the results from Norfolk and Waveney
- 8 Several roads closed in King's Lynn due to crash and police incident
- 9 'Genuine shock' after biker killed in town centre hit-and-run
- 10 Crews battle overnight house fire in north Norfolk
'St George's is a great facility. We have a great training base at Colney but you really have everything you need there.'