Wycombe succumb to Francomb's spot kick
Norwich City Reserves 1, Wycombe Reserves 0: George Francomb's second half penalty secured victory for a youthful Norwich second string in their Totesport.
Norwich City Reserves 1, Wycombe Reserves 0
George Francomb's second half penalty secured victory for a youthful Norwich second string in their Totesport.com Combination game against Wycombe at Carrow Road.
Chairboys' defender Harry Pell pulled the shirt of Patrick Drmola in the box on 73 minutes as the City striker tried to make room for an effort on goal.
Referee Whitton pointed to the spot and Francomb kept his cool to send former Norwich academy keeper Steven Arnold the wrong way and pocket the game's only goal.
You may also want to watch:
The young Canaries started with Drmola and Danny Kelly up front, with Jens Berthel Askou adding a touch of experience at the back alongside Francomb in central defence before the Dane was withdrawn at the break.
City's first opportunity of the half came on 17 minutes, Matt Ball meeting a good cross from the right with a firm header, but Arnold saved low to his left.
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 3 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 4 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 5 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 6 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 7 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 8 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 9 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 10 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
Wycombe had penalty appeals of their own waved away on 30 minutes after Declan Rudd collided with Matt Harrold following a miscued clearance.
Josh Dawkin, playing just off the front two, raced clear of the Wycombe backline but Arnold did enough to foil the Welsh youth international.
The Canaries made two changes at half-time - Ryan Oakley and Sam Kelly replacing Askou and Richard Brindley. Wycombe started on the front foot with Harrold narrowly dragging a shot wide and Rudd saving at the feet of both Adrian Clifton and Jerome Federico in quick succession.
Kelly's looping header nestled on the roof of the net after connecting well with a Damon Lathrope corner at the far post.
Arnold prevented the Canaries doubling their lead in the final 10 minutes when he bravely saved at Kelly's feet after the Irish youth international broke free in the Wycombe box.
Wycombe's Simon Cox rattled the post from a free-kick and Tom Dunford headed straight at Rudd in the frantic finale stages, but the Canaries held on.
t City Reserves: Rudd, Brindley (Oakley 46), Gordon, Francomb, Askou (S Kelly 46), Lathrope, Adeyemi, Ball, Drmola (A. Stephens 76), D Kelly, Dawkin. Subs not used: Matthews, Dobbs.
t Wycombe Reserves: Arnold, Cox, Spence, Pell, Raccine, Cox, Federico, Westlake, Clifton (Harris 60), Harrold (Fitchett 56), Dunford (Scowen 87). Subs not used: Williams, Kewley-Graham.
t Referee: R Whitton
t Attendance: 103