Why new Norwich City signing Kei Kamara is a cult hero in Kansas
- Credit: Twiiter - @KeiKamara
New Norwich City signing Kei Kamara's difficult upbringing in Sierra Leone seem to have taught him to enjoy life, as his broad grin and wacky antics made him something of a cult hero in Kansas.
And, in the true style of a modern footballer, his account on micro-blogging website Twitter has helped him to make those connections with fans.
In January 2011 Kamara decided he wanted to take advantage of some fresh snowfall and to have a snowball fight.
He soon spread the word on Twitter and around 50 locals joined him and some of his team-mates in some fun which soon became an online hit, with a video going on YouTube and a local photography agency taking lots of photos.
Kamara then took everyone who came out for the snowball fight for burritos at a local restaurant, Chipotle.
His 'heart-shaped hands' goal celebration has become hugely popular with fans as well, with fans often sending him photos on Twitter of them mimicking his celebration.
Dave LaMattina, from Copper Pot Pictures, said: 'To Norwich supporters, I'll say get ready. Kei loves engaging with fans. From the little I've seen of Norwich's supporters already, I think it's a great match.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 2 Man's surprise at finding virtually naked man asleep on car in Cromer
- 3 Weather warning extended as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 4 Two men arrested after fire caused by disposable BBQ at country park
- 5 Holidaymakers face further severe TUI delays from Norwich
- 6 Elizabethan manor house with 20 acres and a pool on sale for £2.75m
- 7 Man who rushed to help woman stabbed in city park feared she might die
- 8 Stunning drone shots capture high tide in Wells
- 9 Plans for roundabout at accident blackspot set for submission
- 10 9 celebrities who have been spotted in Norfolk in 2022
'I hope, and believe, Kei will flourish there. The man just loves to play the game.'
While Tod Palmer, the Kansas City Star newspaper's Sporting Kansas City writer, added: 'Kei is a prankster. He loves startling teammates and is constantly cracking jokes at training. That playful nature was well received in Kansas City.
'He hadn't necessarily shown that side of himself at previous stops in MLS, but Kei felt comfortable with Sporting.
'That comfort allowed him to let his guard down, so people saw his big heart, his work in the community and loved him for it.'
- For the full story about Kei Kamara's inspiring life, see the link at the top-right of this page.