Wes Hoolahan still in Norwich City manager Chris Hughton’s thinking
Wes Hoolahan still has a role to play in Norwich City's Premier League campaign, according to manager Chris Hughton.
The Irishman has played just 13 minutes of the Canaries' league programme so far this season, coming off the bench against Fulham at Craven Cottage on the opening day when they were already 4-0 down.
Since then, he has been an unused substitute for three matches in a row, all of which have ended in draws, though he did captain City and score the decisive penalty in the 2-1 Capital One Cup win over Scunthorpe. During the closing stages of Saturday's televised goalless draw against West Ham United, sections of the home crowd began chanting Hoolahan's name as a hint to the manager.
It appears the 4-4-2 system employed in those three matches may have worked against the 30-year-old's inclusion, for he spent much of the last three seasons playing at the front of a midfield diamond or supporting a lone striker.
Hughton admitted: 'It has been a little bit difficult. Even towards the end I did want to bring Wes on, but because of the way West Ham play and they're a strong, physical side, you're mindful that you don't want to get done from the set-plays.
You may also want to watch:
'I was tempted to bring Wes on because I know he can produce that little bit of magic, that little bit of gold, but there is two sides to it. West Ham are so strong, they are direct in their play and I just felt we needed to keep some height on the pitch.
'It's been a tough one for Wes because he's a very good player but I'm quite sure that if he continues to do what he's doing there is certainly scope for him to be involved, definitely.'
- 1 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 2 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 3 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 4 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 5 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 6 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 7 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 8 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 9 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards