Wes Hoolahan happy to take Norwich City pre-season punishment and Cobh attention as Daniel Farke sets his stall out
- Credit: Lorraine O'Sullivan/Focus Images
Wes Hoolahan was the star attraction as Norwich City kicked off the public pre-season in Ireland – and he's already enjoying life under Daniel Farke.
The Canaries ran out 5-0 winners at St Colman's Park as Cobh Ramblers found their visitors too much to cope with.
A run-out against League of Ireland opponents was something of a homecoming for a real Republic favourite – and the home crowd treated it as such.
'It was good to get a 45-minute run-out – each player got half a game, it's the first of pre-season and we did well out there,' said Hoolahan.
City have been in Ireland on a pre-season camp since Monday, and will return for Saturday's friendly at Lowestoft Town.
'It's nice to get a few goals, and there were a few good goals out there – from (Alex) Pritchard, and then Mario (Vrancic) got a good goal in his first game.
'It's been nice to have the attention and it's always great to get home and see the locals, and the lads from Ireland. It's always good to get a good standing ovation and stuff like that.
- 1 The homeless newlyweds who have lived in their car for a year
- 2 Former Norwich restaurant to be transformed into £1.5m food hall
- 3 Father and son in court charged with murder of man
- 4 Father in court charged with murder of his teen daughter
- 5 Meet the three Norfolk businesses featured in Antiques Road Trip
- 6 10-year-old town centre deli announces sudden closure
- 7 Revealed: No one has paid £10,000 fines issued for breaking Covid rules
- 8 Solar farm approved despite concerns over impact on neighbours
- 9 Yarmouth market's pea and pie stall holder to retire
- 10 Man charged with murder of 19-year-old daughter
'I think tonight I signed as many autographs as I sign in a season at Carrow Road, but it was enjoyable. The kids were running around and it's great to have a Championship team here to play Cobh.'
As for the serious stuff, Hoolahan is very much enjoying that too as he prepares for his 10th season in yellow and green.
He said: 'It's been hard for me. I had three weeks off (after international duty), but I looked forward to coming back in.
'I joined up with the team on Monday and travelled straight to Fota Island, and the last few days with the manager have been great.
'He's been working us very hard, but it's been enjoyable. Double sessions as it's obviously pre-season and the sessions have been long too.
'But the detail of how he wants us to play is very good and the boys are enjoying it, and I'm loving it.
'He's great because he wants to pass the ball and wants to move it, open teams up and he wants possession of the ball.
'And that all suits us down to the ground.'
Goals from Alex Tettey, Nelson Oliveira, Vrancic, James Maddison and Pritchard sealed City's victory in front of a crowd of 814. Timm Klose and Christoph Zimmermann played the full 90 minutes.