We’ve met before: Nigel Worthington’s Norwich City denied by American screamer at Leeds
- Credit: Aidan Ellis/Sportsbeat Images
Ahead of Norwich City's trip to Elland Road this afternoon we take a look back on one of the Canaries' past clashes with leeds United.
March 11, 2006
Leeds 2 Norwich City 2
After a poor start to the new year, City had started to turn their form around and headed to Elland Road with just one defeat in five Championship games.
The form book suggested the odds were just in the hosts' favour – they were third in the table and hard to beat at Elland Road, while the Canaries were ninth, and resilient on the road.
In the end only a last-minute free-kick denied Nigel Worthington's men the three points.
Leeds went ahead on 20 minutes, although there was a hint of offside before Rob Hulse bundled the ball home.
- 1 A47 closed in both directions after serious crash
- 2 Revealed: Where dangerous parasite has been reported in Norfolk
- 3 Possible foot and mouth disease case investigated at pig farm
- 4 Norfolk deli owner suffers severe spinal injuries in Ibiza diving accident
- 5 Care home which has sat empty for four years to be revived by new owners
- 6 Family sue Wetherspoon after man falls to death in city pub
- 7 7 dogs looking for new homes in Norfolk
- 8 'Great relief' as vets rule out foot and mouth disease at Norfolk farm
- 9 Driver died in crash with tractor after misjudging corner on rural road
- 10 Traffic delays after car plunges into underpass in Yarmouth
But just before the hour mark Andy Hughes – who later played for Leeds – levelled after benefiting from Simon Charlton's cross.
With 15 minutes left Paul McVeigh put City ahead, driving a shot home from inside the area into the bottom left corner after neat work on the left by Darren Huckerby.
Then came the sting in the tail as US international Eddie Lewis made it 2-2 with an excellent 90th-minute free-kick.
As City boss Worthington said after the game: 'We worked hard and caused Leeds all sorts of problems in the second half. It was important we came here in a positive frame of mind. Elland Road is a magnificent ground with a wonderful atmosphere but the players got their teeth into the game in good style.'
Leeds: N Sullivan, G Kelly, P Butler, S Gregan, S Crainey, L Miller (E Bakke 79), J Douglas, S Derry, E Lewis, R Hulse, R Blake (D Healy 69). Subs not used: M Kilgallon, I Bennett, I Thomas-Moore.
Goals: Rob Hulse 20, Eddie Lewis 90.
Norwich City: R Green, C Fleming, G Doherty, J Shackell, A Drury, P McVeigh, A Hughes, C Robinson, S Charlton (Y Safri 84), D Huckerby (R Earnshaw 89), L McKenzie (J Johansson 86). Subs not used: D Etuhu, P Gallacher.
Goals: Andy Hughes 57, Paul McVeigh 75.
Referee: Chris Foy