We’ve met before: New Year’s joy as Russell Martin fires Norwich City to win over leaders QPR
- Credit: � ARCHANT NORFOLK PHOTOGRAPHI
With the curtain coming down on the season, we look back at a memorable clash between Norwich City and QPR – when both were challenging for the ultimate prize.
Norwich 1 QPR 0
January 1, 2011
Unlikely as it seems heading into the final day of the season, it wasn't that long ago that City and QPR were battling for honours at the top end of the Championship.
When the pair clashed at Carrow Road on New Year's Day, 2011, it was the Hoops who were top of the table, with City not far behind.
Rangers started the day top, with City fifth. By the end of the day, the Canaries had jumped to third, courtesy of Russell Martin's 10th-minute goal.
- 1 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 2 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 3 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 4 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 5 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 6 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 7 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 8 Wrestler sheds five stone in one last bid to chase his American dream
- 9 Vicar’s astonishing outburst against the Bishop in town's long-running row
- 10 Customers travelling across Norfolk to try pub's 'afternoon sea'
It was a valuable victory: City lost only two more league games (at Burnley and Swansea) between then and the end of the season and were promoted to the top flight as runners-up to Rangers.
Martin's goal came after Chris Martin's shot had been blocked by defender Kaspars Gorkss. Rangers' cause wasn't helped by Matthew Connolly, who was sent off just after half-time for a professional foul on Grant Holt.
Norwich: J Ruddy, M Nelson, Z Whitbread, R Martin, A Drury, A Crofts, W Hoolahan, K Smith, A Wilbraham (M Gill 82), C Martin, G Holt. Subs not used: S Jackson, O Tudur Jones, O Johnson, J Berthel Askou, D Rudd, A McNamee.
Goal: Russell Martin 10
QPR: P Kenny, C Hill (B Orr 46), M Connolly, K Gorkss, K Walker, S Derry, A Taarabt (G Tofas 62), A Faurlin, L Clarke, J Mackie, H Helguson (P Agyemang 46). Subs not used: G Borrowdale, R Cerny, M Rowlands, R Hulse.
Referee: Jonathan Moss