Updated: Norwich City striker Gary Hooper completes Sheffield Wednesday switch
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City's out-of-favour striker Gary Hooper has completed his transfer move to Championship club Sheffield Wednesday.
Hooper has joined the Yorkshire promotion hopefuls for an undisclosed fee, penning a three-and-a-half year deal, and becomes the third fringe player to leave the Canaries in this window, following the departures of Lewis Grabban and Elliott Bennett.
The 27-year-old frontman scored six goals in 13 appearances during a successful recent loan stint at Hillsborough, and Owls' head coach Carlos Carvahal had labelled Hooper his primary January target.
Hooper is eligible for his new club's Championship trip to Reading on Saturday after completing the move in time to feature for the Owls.
City counterpart Alex Neil made it clear on Friday morning a deal was close to completion.
You may also want to watch:
'Negotiations are on-going but I don't think we are far away. He has been back in here the last day or so, so I have spoken to him,' said Neil, at Colney.
Hooper spent two-and-half-years at the Canaries after arriving in a reported £5.5m deal from Celtic but never established himself as a frontline option under Chris Hughton, Neil Adams or Neil. Hooper made just two Premier League appearances for Norwich this season with his last first team outing coming as an 89th minute substitute in the 3-0 Premier League defeat at Southampton on August 30.
- 1 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 2 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 3 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 4 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 5 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 6 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 7 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 8 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 9 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 10 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach