Updated: Norwich City striker Gary Hooper completes Sheffield Wednesday switch
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City's out-of-favour striker Gary Hooper has completed his transfer move to Championship club Sheffield Wednesday.
Hooper has joined the Yorkshire promotion hopefuls for an undisclosed fee, penning a three-and-a-half year deal, and becomes the third fringe player to leave the Canaries in this window, following the departures of Lewis Grabban and Elliott Bennett.
The 27-year-old frontman scored six goals in 13 appearances during a successful recent loan stint at Hillsborough, and Owls' head coach Carlos Carvahal had labelled Hooper his primary January target.
Hooper is eligible for his new club's Championship trip to Reading on Saturday after completing the move in time to feature for the Owls.
City counterpart Alex Neil made it clear on Friday morning a deal was close to completion.
'Negotiations are on-going but I don't think we are far away. He has been back in here the last day or so, so I have spoken to him,' said Neil, at Colney.
Hooper spent two-and-half-years at the Canaries after arriving in a reported £5.5m deal from Celtic but never established himself as a frontline option under Chris Hughton, Neil Adams or Neil. Hooper made just two Premier League appearances for Norwich this season with his last first team outing coming as an 89th minute substitute in the 3-0 Premier League defeat at Southampton on August 30.
- 1 Norfolk pub named one of the UK's best eateries with a view
- 2 'I couldn't believe it' - West Norfolk villages hit by flash flooding
- 3 Landowner to close path after abuse from dog owners letting pets off lead
- 4 Could some Norfolk schools be set for three-day weeks?
- 5 'Help yourself' - farmer gives away tonnes of onions damaged by heatwave
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 Blaze near children's playground in Norwich believed to be arson
- 8 Nine fire crews tackle blaze at industrial estate
- 9 Car carrying six children not wearing seatbelts caught on A47
- 10 Man in 30s arrested on suspicion of drug dealing in rural village