Update: Norwich City reported to have beaten Everton to £50,000 signing of young Bristol Rovers striker
- Credit: PA
Norwich City have reportedly signed young Bristol Rovers striker Olly Mehew for £50,000, ahead of Premier League rivals Everton.
The Bristol Post yesterday reported that chairman Nick Higgs confirmed at the League Two club's annual meeting on Monday night that he was in negotiations with a top-flight club over the transfer of one of their youth players.
The newspaper said it has since been told that player is 16-year-old striker Mehew, the son of former Rovers midfielder David, who is yet made an appearance for Rovers.
National newspaper The Mirror is now reporting that deal has been completed for £50,000 and that Mehew will sign a three-year contract with the Canaries, despite interest from Everton.
Meanwhile, the Bristol club has also confirmed the contract of former Canaries midfielder Matt Gill will be ended by mutual agreement next month.
You may also want to watch:
Gill, 33, is on loan at Exeter City as injury has restricted him to just 12 appearance in the last 18 months for Rovers.
The former Peterborough United man was part of the Canaries squad which won the 2009 League One title, but played just 16 times in two seasons before joining Rovers in the summer of 2011.
- 1 New virus named after Norfolk village
- 2 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 3 Driving instructor shares terrifying videos of NDR near misses
- 4 Tzolis poised to complete Canaries switch
- 5 No club record bid from City for Armstrong
- 6 City closing in on Werder Bremen striker
- 7 Covid-19 outbreak at hotel 'goes back to Latitude' - but guests not pinged
- 8 'Truly sorry' glamping owner apologises after negative reviews
- 9 Jailed in July: Drug dealing, knife crime and manslaughter
- 10 Man in 30s dies after crash on A12