Update: Dutch international Leroy Fer puts talk of his Norwich City future on hold after making Holland’s provisional World Cup squad
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City's Dutch international midfielder Leroy Fer is putting any talk of his future on hold until after the World Cup.
The 24-year-old was named in Louis van Gaal's 30-man provisional squad for Brazil on Tuesday evening after his first season at Carrow Road ended in relegation from the Premier League.
Fer was impressive during the opening months of the campaign following his move from FC Twente but the midfielder's hamstring injury curtailed any regular involvement over the run-in. Fer scored four goals in 32 appearances but quoted in Dutch football magazine, SoccerNews, he insisted he had improved following his move to England.
'That (relegation) is not nice, but I have become a better player this season,' he said. 'The English football was getting used to, but it has made me stronger. Unfortunately we were as a team is not able to maintain in the Premier League us.'
Fer will now link up with the likes of Robin van Persie and Arjen Robben at a pre-World Cup training camp in Portugal before prospective Manchester United manager van Gaal trims his squad for the final warm up friendlies against Ghana and Wales.
You may also want to watch:
Fer reiterated his sole focus is featuring for the Oranje in south America in coming weeks rather than his club future after forcing his way back into the Holland set-up for their final World Cup qualifiers earlier this season.
'You can not specify in advance where your future lies. That's why it's called 'the future'. I see it all after any World Cup and/or vacation,' he said.
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 3 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 4 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 5 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
- 6 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 7 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 8 'She loved planting flowers' - Tributes left at home of woman found dead
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Talks held with United full-back
- 10 Why is it so difficult to buy bottled water?
Fer still has three years left on the Norwich deal he signed at Carrow Road last summer.
• Fer's Norwich team mate Nathan Redmond has also earned international recognition with a call-up for England's Under-21s' Uefa European Championship qualifer next week against Wales followed by this summer's Toulon tournament.
Garth Southgate's Young Lions face their Welsh counterparts on Monday at Swansea's Liberty Stadium before flying out to France to take on Qatar, Colombia, Brazil and the Korean Rebulic later this month.