Top 10: The foreign imports Buendia would be trying to emulate at Norwich City
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
As Argentinian attacker Emi Buendia looks set to join Norwich City, we've taken a look at the foreign imports who have made the most appearances for the Canaries.
The Argentina Under-20 international is set to join City from Spanish top-flight side Getafe this summer and join the select band of players to be signed from a club outside of the UK and Ireland.
The 21-year-old would follow in the footsteps of striker Luciano Becchio, who failed to score during his 16 games between 2013 and 2015 after joining from Leeds, and Jonas Gutierrez, who made four appearances while on loan from Newcastle in 2014, as the Argentinians to play for Norwich.
Rather than an objective list, which could include the likes of Thomas Helveg and Leroy Fer as high-profile imports, we've taken a look at the players who made the most appearances.
1 Alex Tettey – 177 apps (current)
Signed from French club Rennes for a deal reportedly worth around £3million in the summer of 2012, the former Norway international recently signed a new two-year deal.
2 Dennis Van Wijk – 155 apps (1982-86)
The Dutchman began his career in the youth system at Ajax before joining City. Conceded a penalty in the Milk Cup final success of 1985, which was missed, and helped win the Second Division title the following year.
- 1 Woman in her 20s dies in A47 crash
- 2 The school where boys can wear skirts - but not shorts
- 3 Redundancy leads to Norfolk mum earning up to £3,000 a month
- 4 Cyclist in her 50s dies in A11 crash
- 5 Train travellers set for another weekend of rail disruption
- 6 Breckland builder dumped toilet cisterns and bathroom items in front garden
- 7 Woman in her 50s who died in A11 crash named locally
- 8 Woman in serious condition in hospital after crash between two cars and van
- 9 Car seen driving on the wrong side of the A47
- 10 Abnormal load to travel through county on first day of Norfolk Show
3 Steen Nedergaard – 97 apps (2002-03)
Former Denmark Under-21 international joined from Danish side Odense and proved popular at right-back, helping City reach the Division One play-off final in 2002.
4 Ivo Pinto – 89 apps (current)
Portuguese right-back was signed from Croatian side Dinamo Zagreb for around £2.2m in January 2016 and captained the Canaries last season.
5 Timm Klose – 85 apps (current)
Another January 2016 arrival, the Switzerland international centre-back was signed from Wolfsburg in a deal reportedly worth around £7.5m.
6 Erik Fuglestad – 82 apps (1997-2000)
Signed from Viking Stavanger on a free transfer, the Norwegian left-back was a consistent presence but his contract was cancelled in March 2000 and he returned to Viking.
7 Nelson Oliveira – 70 apps (current)
Signed for around £5m from Benfica in August 2016 after impressing on loan at Nottingham Forest, the Portugal international has scored 20 goals in 70 games.
8 Jurgen Colin – 64 apps (2005-07)
Dutch defender was signed from NAC Breda for £250,000 but struggled to establish himself at right-back and was sold to Ajax for £70,000 after a trial.
9 Javier Garrido – 53 apps (2012-15)
Former Manchester City left-back was signed from Italian side Lazio on a season-long loan which was later made permanent.
10 Christoph Zimmermann – 45 apps (current)
Followed head coach Daniel Farke across from Borussia Dortmund and stepped up from the German fourth tier to earn a new contract until 2021.
• Join in with the latest Canaries conversations on the Pink Un messageboard