The best and worst case scenarios for Norwich City’s Premier League relegation fight against Watford on Wednesday night
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
After a turbulent few days off the pitch at Carrow Road, it is time to focus on football matters again but the horizon is bleak for Norwich City who are 50/1 with some bookmakers to stay up.
A dismal 1-0 defeat at home to an average Manchester United side on Saturday means that Norwich City's survival fate is out of their hands going into Wednesday's game with Watford.
The Canaries must beat the Hornets and pick up all three points from their trip to Everton on the final day of the season to stand any chance of avoiding the drop.
However, victory for Sunderland when they welcome Everton to the Stadium of Light on Wednesday night will seal Norwich City's immediate return to the Championship.
Sam Allardyce's men require just three points, from their meeting with the Toffees and their trip to Watford on the final day of the season to relegate Norwich City and Newcastle United; while City could once again be the master of their own downfall if they drop points in their final two games of the campaign.
You may also want to watch:
The Magpies aren't in action on Wednesday night so will remain on 34 points, but need to hope their north east rivals drop points in their last two matches to give them hope of pulling off a great escape.
Norwich City have the worst goal difference of the sides fighting for their Premier League status, so would have to beat Watford by three goals or more to move above Newcastle, while Sunderland have a far superior goal difference than their rivals.
• Click here to read Paddy Davitt's take on David McNally's departure from Norwich City
- 1 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 2 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 3 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 4 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 5 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 6 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 7 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 8 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 9 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 10 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach