Story of the match: Norwich City U23s 6 Dinamo Zagreb II 0
- Credit: Matthew Usher/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City Under-23s faced European opposition in knockout football at Carrow Road this evening – and romped to a 6-0 victory.
The development side of Croatian champions Dinamo Zagreb provided the opposition for the young Canaries, in the quarter-finals of the Premier League International Cup.
City's youngsters were bolstered by a strong first-team influence for the match, with Josh Murphy, Matt Jarvis, Ryan Bennett, Kyle Lafferty, James Maddison and Ben Godfrey featuring.
Norwich were the only team to win all three of their group games in the PLI Cup, beating Valencia, Celtic and Aston Villa at Carrow Road to qualify for the knockout stages.
Dinamo were held to a 0-0 draw at Swansea but impressively beat Chelsea 1-0 and Feyenoord 3-0 to win Group D.
However, two goals from Kyle Lafferty were added to by Josh Murphy and a James Maddison penalty before the break.
Young winger Glenn Middleton then replaced Jarvis at half-time and scored a cracking goal within three minutes, before Todd Cantwell celebrated his 19th birthday with a late penalty to complete the rout.
Re-live the match as it unfolded above or click here for the full match report.
- 1 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 2 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 3 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 4 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 5 Wrestler sheds five stone in one last bid to chase his American dream
- 6 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 7 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 8 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 9 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 10 Vicar’s astonishing outburst against the Bishop in town's long-running row