Story of the match: Norwich City U23s 0 Aston Villa U23s 1
- Credit: Andy Kearns/Focus Images Limited
Norwich City Under-23s returned to action at Carrow Road tonight when they took on Aston Villa in Premier League Two, losing 1-0.
The two teams met last month as well, when the young Canaries came from behind three times to win 4-3 in their final group game of the Premier League International Cup at Carrow Road.
That ensured Dmitri Halajko's team advanced to the quarter-finals of that competition with three wins out of three in Group E, earning a home tie against Dinamo Zagreb in the knockout stages.
It was back to league action tonight though, when a young Norwich development side played, due to the first team having a game at Wigan in the Championship tomorrow night.
Top scorer Carlton Morris was unavailable after joining Rotherham United on loan for the remainder of the season on transfer deadline day, having scored eight goals for the U23s this season.
City's youngsters won the first meeting of the teams in PL2, when goals from Morris and teenage winger Glenn Middleton sealed a 2-1 away success.
But some fine goalkeeping from Villa's Viktor Johansson denied the young Canaries, with winger Andre Green scoring the decisive goal against the run of play in the 67th minute.
- 1 New camera installed to catch drivers at speeding hotspot in Norwich
- 2 Body found in search for missing 35-year-old man
- 3 Four-bed home with swimming pool and Mediterranean garden on sale for £595k
- 4 Road closure announced for huge vintage market with 60 stalls
- 5 River Wensum stops flowing through mill for first time in a century
- 6 Village pub gets name change for filming of new Paramount crime series
- 7 Mystery continues as owner of 'massive' snake yet to come forward
- 8 Killer described death of his victim as 'the best news'
- 9 Woman who was stabbed by killer says 'devil' did not get her
- 10 Police probe into stone thrown at passing car was ‘closed in 45 minutes’
Re-live the game as it unfolded via the blog on this page.