Story of the match: Norwich City U23s 0 Aston Villa U23s 1
- Credit: Andy Kearns/Focus Images Limited
Norwich City Under-23s returned to action at Carrow Road tonight when they took on Aston Villa in Premier League Two, losing 1-0.
The two teams met last month as well, when the young Canaries came from behind three times to win 4-3 in their final group game of the Premier League International Cup at Carrow Road.
That ensured Dmitri Halajko's team advanced to the quarter-finals of that competition with three wins out of three in Group E, earning a home tie against Dinamo Zagreb in the knockout stages.
It was back to league action tonight though, when a young Norwich development side played, due to the first team having a game at Wigan in the Championship tomorrow night.
Top scorer Carlton Morris was unavailable after joining Rotherham United on loan for the remainder of the season on transfer deadline day, having scored eight goals for the U23s this season.
You may also want to watch:
City's youngsters won the first meeting of the teams in PL2, when goals from Morris and teenage winger Glenn Middleton sealed a 2-1 away success.
But some fine goalkeeping from Villa's Viktor Johansson denied the young Canaries, with winger Andre Green scoring the decisive goal against the run of play in the 67th minute.
- 1 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 2 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 3 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 4 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 5 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 6 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 7 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 8 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 9 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 10 Hunt for man in connection with drug dealing
Re-live the game as it unfolded via the blog on this page.