Speculation again casts doubt over Holt’s future at Carrow Road
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City fans are experiencing a sense of déjà vu as the future of striker and skipper Grant Holt again appears to be in doubt.
A year ago Holt's career at Carrow Road was at an impasse – the season had ended with the hitman handing in a shock transfer request before eventually signing a new contract in July.
Now it seems there are more doubts about Holt's position within the team, after one national newspaper suggested that only a lack of offers was preventing him from making a return to his native north of England.
The report claimed there have been inquiries for Holt from Championship teams but that Norwich 'have not received a concrete offer'.
Premier League newcomers Crystal Palace are said to be one of the interested parties, with the Sunday People claiming they have made an inquiry but that it would take £2m to persuade City to let him go – and then Palace want him as cover for the injured Glenn Murray.
Australian A-League side Melbourne Heart claim they were interested last month, but couldn't match the asking price.
Speculation regarding Holt is unlikely to go away in a hurry, especially as many fans are not convinced that he won't follow his family who have relocated to their native Carlisle – and with City boss Chris Hughton in the midst of rebuilding plans for the new season.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 2 Fire crews to remain at scene of nature reserve blaze overnight
- 3 This is when thunderstorms will hit Norfolk this week
- 4 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 5 'Help yourself' - farmer gives away tonnes of onions damaged by heatwave
- 6 Man's surprise at finding virtually naked man asleep on car in Cromer
- 7 Holidaymakers face further severe TUI delays from Norwich
- 8 Where you will be able to see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this week
- 9 Brother and sister found dead in home were grieving beloved father
- 10 Police catch over 20 drivers speeding in 45 minutes near fatal crash site
Hughton has already added £8m striker Ricky van Wolfswinkel from Sporting Lisbon and has been heavily linked with PSV attacker Ola Toivonen – both of which simply add fuel to the speculative flames.
Meanwhile, there are also claims that Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert is ready to test his former club with an offer for winger Elliott Bennett, who has just a year remaining on his contract.