Speculation again casts doubt over Holt’s future at Carrow Road
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City fans are experiencing a sense of déjà vu as the future of striker and skipper Grant Holt again appears to be in doubt.
A year ago Holt's career at Carrow Road was at an impasse – the season had ended with the hitman handing in a shock transfer request before eventually signing a new contract in July.
Now it seems there are more doubts about Holt's position within the team, after one national newspaper suggested that only a lack of offers was preventing him from making a return to his native north of England.
The report claimed there have been inquiries for Holt from Championship teams but that Norwich 'have not received a concrete offer'.
Premier League newcomers Crystal Palace are said to be one of the interested parties, with the Sunday People claiming they have made an inquiry but that it would take £2m to persuade City to let him go – and then Palace want him as cover for the injured Glenn Murray.
You may also want to watch:
Australian A-League side Melbourne Heart claim they were interested last month, but couldn't match the asking price.
Speculation regarding Holt is unlikely to go away in a hurry, especially as many fans are not convinced that he won't follow his family who have relocated to their native Carlisle – and with City boss Chris Hughton in the midst of rebuilding plans for the new season.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 3 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 4 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 5 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 6 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 7 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 8 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 9 Norfolk couple's hopes of £1m 'doorstop' sculpture dashed
- 10 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
Hughton has already added £8m striker Ricky van Wolfswinkel from Sporting Lisbon and has been heavily linked with PSV attacker Ola Toivonen – both of which simply add fuel to the speculative flames.
Meanwhile, there are also claims that Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert is ready to test his former club with an offer for winger Elliott Bennett, who has just a year remaining on his contract.