RUMOUR MILL: Mark Hughes confirms Norwich City’s Nathan Redmond is a transfer target
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Stoke City boss Mark Hughes has confirmed he wants to bring Norwich City's young starlet Nathan Redmond to the Britannia Stadium.
Hughes revealed on Tuesday afternoon his club had made contact with the Canaries over the availability of the England Under-21 international, following fresh reports on Monday of a firm £5m move after an earlier summer enquiry was reportedly knocked back.
'There is an interest there. He is a good young player, a player that we like but he is not our player,' Hughes told Skysports. 'He is Norwich's player and they are well within their rights to retain the players that are under contract to them. There is nothing moving on that one at the moment so we just have to bide our time.'
Stoke begin their Premier League campaign this weekend at home to Aston Villa and Hughes is looking to add to the likes of Bojan, Steve Sidwell, Phil Bardsley and Mame Biram Diouf who have all moved to the Potteries over the close season.
Stoke are believed to have renewed their interest after encountering problems trying to tie up the permanent signing of Liverpool's £7m-rated Moroccan international Oussama Assaidi.
Hughes' club and top flight rivals Southampton were previously linked with the 20-year-old, who played the full 90 minutes in a more advanced role for the Canaries during Sunday's 1-0 Championship defeat at Wolves.
Redmond arrived at Norwich 12 months ago from boyhood club Birmingham and was also touted with Swansea City in the January transfer window, although the attacking midfielder made it clear at the time he saw his future at Carrow Road.
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 Former vicarage set in one acre is up for sale - and it needs some TLC
- 3 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 4 World record? 24 ducklings spotted waddling through Norfolk village
- 5 Restaurant apologises after boy hospitalised with allergic reaction
- 6 Star-studded line-up announced for free Norfolk festival
- 7 George Ezra to host album launch show in Norwich
- 8 Interactive and immersive dinosaur attraction opening in Norfolk this month
- 9 Norfolk-born entrepreneur is second richest person in country
- 10 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds