Ricky and Ola – very different approaches to Norwich City
There are ways and means of winning popularity contests among football fans.
Ricky van Wolfswinkel has the knack; Ola Toivonen is, perhaps, lacking. Van Wolfswinkel is on international duty with Holland, who play in Andorra tomorrow.
Many observers believed his summer move from Sporting Lisbon to Norwich was partly due to his desire to play for his national team, but the 24-year-old has been honest enough to admit it's more about playing at a higher standard.
'I have not chosen Norwich with Holland in mind,' he said. 'My only intention was to play at a higher level. That may be indirectly beneficial for the Dutch national team, but they have not really played a role in my choice of club. Norwich is a fantastic choice for me.
'Norwich is definitely a step up from Sporting. In terms of name Norwich are, of course, not higher, as Sporting is a big club. But it's not just about the name, it's about how you perform and the competition is just at a much higher level in England.'
You may also want to watch:
Cue countryman Toivonen, talking of the move that never happened and about 'not getting what he wanted' from Norwich City. The 27-year-old attacking midfielder is still with PSV, despite being the subject of a successful bid from these parts.
'The clubs were happy with the agreement, but I did not get what I wanted,' he told Swedish newspaper, Expressen. 'I am happy in Holland and the family enjoy themselves and if I don't get what I want, I don't move.'
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 4 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos
- 5 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 6 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 7 Noise investigation launched after works leave houses 'tremoring'
- 8 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 9 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 10 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
Perhaps not the best way to win friends and influence people on this side of the North Sea.