Hernandez returns to the bench as Canaries go with unchanged starting XI for Preston clash
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Daniel Farke has kept faith with the Norwich City starting XI which were cruelly beaten 2-0 late on by promotion chasing Cardiff last weekend for this afternoon's match at Preston North End.
The Canaries boss has retained Harrison Reed at right-back ahead of Ivo Pinto despite the Southampton loanee going off with a back knock last Saturday.
That retains the same back four which faced the Bluebirds, with Cuban winger Onel Hernandez returning to the bench after injury. The January signing has missed City's last five matches but is fit enough to feature among the substitutes.
The Canaries are looking to bounce back from a 2-0 home defeat to promotion chasing Cardiff last weekend, with their mid-table finish already determined.
Alex Neil's one change to their starting line-up sees former Canaries boss Alex Neil bringing Paul Gallagher in for Daniel Johnson in midfield, with City academy product Declan Rudd starting in goal.
You may also want to watch:
North End can move level on points with teams in the top six with victory, depending on results elsewhere, after following up a 3-1 home win over Leeds with a 2-1 success at QPR last weekend.
NORWICH: Gunn; Reed, Hanley, Klose, Lewis; Tettey (C), Leitner; Vrancic, Maddison, Murphy; Srbeny. Subs: McGovern (GK), Raggett, Pinto, Husband, Hernandez, Hoolahan, Oliveira
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 5 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 6 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 7 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 8 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 9 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 10 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
PRESTON: Rudd; Fisher, Clarke (C), Huntington, Cunningham; Pearson; Bodin, Gallagher, Browne, Barkhuizen; Robinson. Subs; Maxwell (GK), Davies, Earl, Maguire, Harrop, Johnson, Moult
City team news
Onel Hernandez and Marco Stiepermann are both available after lengthy injury absences. Harrison Reed has also been passed fit following his late exit against Cardiff with a back problem. Christoph Zimmermann (quad) is ruled out and Sean Raggett (leg) is a doubt. Tom Trybull is back in training but will not be considered. Matt Jarvis and Louis Thompson (Achilles) are longer term absentees.
Preston team news
Leading goal scorer Sean Maguire (hamstring) is poised for a late fitness test after missing last weekend's win at QPR.
Preston manager – Alex Neil
Former City boss who guided the Canaries to promotion at Wembley, but was unable to keep Norwich in the Premier League. Dismissed 12 months ago with Neil unable to repeat his success of getting the club firmly in the play-off mix. Following a period out of the game was appointed as Preston's manager in July 2017, after the departure of Simon Grayson.
Referee – Geoff Eltringham (Durham)
Shown three red and 119 yellow cards in 33 appointments this season.