Police praise Norwich City and Ipswich Town fans after just three arrests on play-off derby day

Mounted police at Carrow Road, after Norwich City's 3-1 win over Ipswich Town. Picture: DENISE BRADL

Mounted police at Carrow Road, after Norwich City's 3-1 win over Ipswich Town. Picture: DENISE BRADLEY - Credit: Copyright: Archant 2015

Just three people were arrested at today's clash between Norwich City and Ipswich Town, prompting Norfolk police to thank the 'good spirit' of supporters at the derby play-off match.

About 2,000 Ipswich Town supporters travelled to the city for the crucial Carrow Road match which ended with the Canaries securing a Wembley play-off final spot their a 3-1 victory meant they won 4-2 on aggregate.

A 49-year-old man from Ipswich was arrested in connection with a breach of the Anti-Social Behaviour Crime and Policing Act 2014.

A 30-year-old man from Norwich was arrested on suspicion of assaulting a police officer and is being questioned at Wymondham Police Investigation Centre.

A 24-year-old from Lowestoft was arrested in connection with drinking in view of the pitch and was subsequently given a caution.

After the match, police put cordons in place around the stadium to ensure fans could move safely from the ground and begin their journeys home.

Match-day policing commander, Chief Superintendent Nick Davison, said: 'I am very pleased to say that overall, the atmosphere at today's match was lively, but good natured.

Most Read

'Extensive planning went into the policing operation, which was firm in places, with a significant presence of officers. This was necessary to ensure supporters enjoyed the game and to cause the minimum impact possible on other members of the public in the area. I am very pleased to say that the operation was carried out as planned with supporters enjoying a fantastic atmosphere.'

After the final whistle blew, some fans went onto the pitch, with Thames Valley officers mounted on horses used to defuse the situation.

Chf Supt Davison said: 'A number of supporters, however behaved unacceptably by coming onto the pitch after full time, which was disappointing.

'Cordons were put in place to ensure the safety of those attending before and after the match and I would like to thank the supporters and motorists for their co-operation during this time.'

Police have thanked counterparts in Suffolk, Essex, Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire and British Transport Police for their assistance as well as other partner agencies involved in the operation.

Police said the Thames Valley Mounted Officers and their horses played a very important role in preventing disorder and were specially thanked. There were five arrests at the first leg at Portman Road, which ended 1-1 after Paul Anderson's equaliser for Ipswich cancelled out Jonny Howson's opener for the Canaries.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter