Paul Lambert - Norwich City’s keeper trio are top class
Paul Lambert insists Norwich's goalkeeping stocks are the envy of most across the game.
John Ruddy continues to push his claims for senior England honours with a string of consistent Premier League displays, but both Jed Steer and Declan Rudd have proved able deputies this season.
Steer was man-of-the-match on his full first team debut in January's FA Cup fourth round win over West Brom. England U21 international Declan Rudd also impressed earlier this campaign and Lambert was delighted to welcome him back into the fold following foot surgery in a midweek reserve comeback.
'Outside of John Ruddy there is absolutely nothing between those two young lads,' said Lambert. 'They are going to be two top goalkeepers. I think Jed has come on leaps and bounds since he has been training with the first team and Dec has been the same whenever he has trained and played.
'For Norwich City, for a right few years, they will have good choices in that position on the field. John is only young as well, people tend to forget that. He just looks about 96, but he has two young lads behind him who in my view are going to be top goalkeepers.'
You may also want to watch:
Lambert admits Ruddy has been a pivotal factor in Norwich's survival bid, ahead of tomorrow's latest Carrow Road test against his former club Everton.
'There is a great saying that a team which looks just OK will always have to look over its shoulder. I think that is true,' said Lambert. 'Goalkeepers are vital to you and he has come in at big moments in big games. He has done brilliant for us. He had a big act to follow with Fraser (Forster) and what he meant to the crowd. We wanted to sign Fraser and we couldn't do it.
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 2 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 3 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 4 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 5 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 6 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 7 Murdered Norfolk mum's bravery has helped family through their darkest days
- 8 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 9 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 10 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea
'We went and got John, so he had to get over that little hurdle and coming in the way he has, he has been brilliant. I think John has been playing exceptionally well for two years now. He has been excellent.'
Lambert knows Ruddy will be tested severely by his former employers.
'I think Everton are a really top side,' said Lambert. 'I think they have some really fantastic players. Since January they brought in a couple of lads to give them a hand and their form at this minute is very, very good.'