‘Argos has everything’ - Canaries player stuns fans with his favourite thing about Norwich
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City player Onel Hernández gave a surprising answer when he was asked if he enjoys living in Norwich.
The Cathedral, Castle, its shopping and access to the Broads and coast are traditionally the response when someone is asked what it is they love about Norwich.
However, Norwich City player Onel Hernández has managed to find charm in an unlikely and surprising place, if an interview with the club's official programme is anything to go by.
In the programme for Friday's 3-1 win against Birmingham, 25-year-old cited catalogue store Argos and Morrisons supermarket as amongst his city highlights.
The winger, born in Cuba but who is of German nationality, said: 'I love the city. I like that I live next to the stadium and next to me is a Morrisons which is good so I can buy my food.'
'Also,' continued Hernández, 'I'd never seen an Argos before in my life. I walked inside and saw the catalogue with things you can order. You can order bikes, TVs – We don't have this is Germany.
'Argos has everything and I've never seen this in my life before. When I need something, I buy it from Argos! I live in a perfect area.'
- 1 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 2 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 3 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 4 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 5 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 6 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 7 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 8 Vicar’s astonishing outburst against the Bishop in town's long-running row
- 9 Wrestler sheds five stone in one last bid to chase his American dream
- 10 Customers travelling across Norfolk to try pub's 'afternoon sea'
The player also expressed his good fortune at living in close proximity to H&M, Costa, Boots and Chapelfield.
The interview has been branded by some fans as an 'accidental Partridge moment', referring to Norfolk's famous comedy character, while others called for Argos to 'give this lad a sponsorship.'
One Twitter user said: 'This is Partridge to the nth degree. Like when script writers are told 'you can't put that in, no one would ever say it in real life'.'
Another said: 'To be fair it's actually quite endearing.' And similarly someone said: 'Seems like a really sweet kid. Very grounded, not many footballers get excited about Argos.'
Meanwhile, on our website, commenter Baguio said: 'Love it. This should make us realise what a leveller football is. Kids from the humblest of beginnings can become superstars in the world of football.
'This guy has so much ability and is one player who can move up to the next level no problem. He gets the fans on their feet every time he goes forward. He will be forever remembered for his efforts against Forest. We love you too Onel.'
On Monday Argos tweeted the footballer, saying: 'We're glad that we've helped you settle into @NorwichCityFC. We've got a special catalogue coming your way, and we'd like to send you a selection of our canary-coloured products too.'