Two late changes as Norwich City Legends confirm squad for Inter Forever exhibition
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City Legends have finalised their squad for Sunday's match against Inter Forever with the addition of two further members of City's 1993-94 Uefa Cup squad.
Ade Akinbiyi and Lee Power will reunite with then-manager Mike Walker, and a host of former team-mates, for the charity fund-raiser (2pm kick-off) in aid of the Community Sports Foundation.
Chris Sutton and Lee Croft have had to pull out though, Sutton due to Scottish TV broadcasting commitments and Croft due to a hamstring injury picked up during a charity match in Wigan last weekend.
The exhibition will raise funds for CSF's new community hub, The Nest, a £10.9m project which is being constructed on the old Anglian Windows Sports & Social Club near Norwich Airport.
Efan Ekoku will also be a non-playing member of the team due to a long-standing injury. The striker famously scored the first goal in European competition for the Canaries with his strike during the 3-0 win over Vitesse Arnhem in the first round of the Uefa Cup.
The striker continued his scoring form that season, scoring 12 goals in 27 games, including a memorable four goals in 25 minutes against Everton at Goodison Park – before being sold to Wimbledon the following season.
A trainee with the club, fellow Nigerian international Akinbiyi made his professional debut as a substitute in the second leg of City's victorious tie against Bayern Munich, going on to make a further 50 appearances before being sold to Gillingham in 1997.
Power, also a graduate of City's youth system, became the youngest City player to score twice in a top-flight match with his brace against QPR in 1990. He featured in both games against Inter as a second-half substitute.
- 1 Parish council weighs in on row over 'rollercoaster' racking
- 2 'I couldn't believe it' - West Norfolk villages hit by flash flooding
- 3 Man in 20s killed and another seriously injured in motorbike crash
- 4 House boarded up after fight in Norfolk village
- 5 YouTube professional eater smashes 100oz steak challenge at Norfolk pub
- 6 'Carnage' as fight involving axes breaks out after van crashes into house
- 7 Where you will be able to see the Red Arrows over Norfolk today
- 8 Heatwave leaves dried-up pond like 'scene from sci-fi movie'
- 9 Norfolk beach named among UK's most contaminated
- 10 Norfolk spot named among UK's best waterside pubs
They join a host of legends including Bryan Gunn and Darren Eadie to face Inter, marking the approaching 25-year anniversary of the Uefa Cup run, who will have Jurgen Klinsmann and Javier Zanetti.
• Tickets are £9.93 for adults and £1.93 for U18s and are available at tickets.canaries.co.uk, by phone on 0844 826 1902 or from the ticket offices at Carrow Road, Castle Mall or Chapelfield.
• For more about the Build The Nest campaign see thenest.org.uk
• If you would like to support CSF, donations can be made at communitysportsfoundation.org.uk