Norwich City young gun Remi Matthews gears up for Premier League test
- Credit: Adrian Judd/Archant Norfolk 2010
Norwich City's young keeper Remi Matthews is in line for his first brush with the Premier League on Tuesday night when loan club Burton host Leicester City in their latest friendly.
The Gorleston-bred stopper played his first full 90 minutes for the Brewers, and kept a clean sheet, in the 2-0 weekend win over Championship Birmingham.
Matthews, who has moved to the League One new boys until January after extending his current Carrow Road deal earlier this summer, is set for his Football League debut next month against Scunthorpe, with first choice Jon McLaughlin suspended. Burton boss Jimmy Floyd-Hasselbaink insists it is vital the 21-year-old has time to build up an understanding with his defence ahead of the big kick-off.
'Men's football is what Remi needed,' said the Dutchman. 'He played the full 90 also, to get that back five united and ready for the first game of the season as Jon McLaughlin will be suspended. Yes, it's nice to win as well but it's more the exercise that you're looking at. You're trying a few other things out and giving some other people a chance. We have that competition for places and we need to have it. We want to have people fighting for their place, in cups too, so we need those players to be able to get games.'
Hasselbaink is looking forward to welcoming his old Chelsea mentor Claudio Ranieri to the Pirelli afte replacing Nigel Pearson.
You may also want to watch:
'Yes, Claudio is obviously a manager I know very well,' he said. 'But for me, it's about the players, and how well they cope, against a Premier League side.'
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Broadband down across Norfolk as Sky internet hit by issue
- 3 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 4 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 5 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 6 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 7 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 8 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 9 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 10 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job