Canaries ladies’ produce show of four-ce as they advance in FA Cup
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City Ladies advanced to the first round proper of the women's FA Cup after an emphatic 4-0 win over Enfield.
City's victory earned them another home tie - against Billericay Town – and rounded off a good few days for the Canaries, who had beaten visiting Cambridge United 3-0 in a midweek South East Division One clash.
Enfield settled quickly, but it didn't last long as Norwich took a stranglehold on the game. With pressure building, Norwich were rewarded on 16 minutes when Chelsea Garrett scored the opening goal.
With Norwich increasing the pressure, Laura Thacker made it 2-0 on 24 minutes as she rose above the Enfield defence, her glancing header beat keeper Libby Stratton.
Norwich were dominating play and raised their game further, scoring twice in quick succession around the 30-minute mark, both goals courtesy of Garrett. Her second of the game was a superb cross-goal strike and the third, a stunning volley past the stranded Stratton Enfield make an immediate substitution at the restart in an attempt to change their fortunes, but with little effect.
You may also want to watch:
With the second half underway and four goals to the good, Norwich soaked up early pressure and as the game progressed a sense of urgency crept into Enfield's game with Norwich content to defend as the visitors became increasingly frustrated.
Three Norwich substitutions provided fresh legs to help execute the game management plan – and they did so with great success.
- 1 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 2 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 3 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 4 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 5 Man was found dead after lockdown hit business, inquest told
- 6 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 7 Water starts gushing out of sinkhole on Norwich city centre road
- 8 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 9 Post-Latitude covid has made me realise pandemic has a long way to go
- 10 Norfolk lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
The single Enfield substitution in the half made little impact.
As the game moved into the final quarter, Norwich again moved up a gear and were unlucky not to score a couple more goals as they camped in the Enfield half – but for once in the game they couldn't quite find their clinical finishing.
Norwich: Armstrong, Parker, Thacker, Diston, Parsons, Daviss, Smith (George 82), Durrant, Garrett (Snelling 63), Cook (Drake 53), Love. Subs not used: Robson, Rogers.
Enfield: Stratton, Slater, Diaz (Bailey 56), Southby, Ford, Reardon, Agus (Heath 71), McKevitt, Peters, Kelly (Kline 33), Diaz, Subs not used: Mills.
Ref: Paul Gibson. Att: 95