Norwich City Under-18s 2, West Ham Under-18s 3
Two second-half goals were not enough to give the young Canaries a share of the spoils in their FA Premier Academy League game at Colney after some poor first-half defending saw them trail the Hammers 3-0 at the break.
Following their victory away at West Bromwich Albion, City were looking for back-to-back victories but they made the worst possible start when, after a mix-up across the back line, the visitors opened the scoring after just five minutes when Taylor Miles fired past Remi Matthews.
Just two minutes later, another mistake allowed Nana Boakye Yiadom to double West Ham's advantage.
City's first real attempt on goal came from full-back Cameron Norman, whose shot-cum-cross was cleared by the outstretched leg of Sam Baxter in the West Ham goal.
Just three minutes before the break, City were left with a mountain to climb when, from a corner, defender Manny Onariase stroked the ball home.
You may also want to watch:
Norwich picked the game up after the break with Norman firing a shot just over and, moments later, the same player cut in from the right to fire a shot into the far corner.
Neil Adams introduced Ray Grant, son of former City manager Peter Grant, as City pushed for the second goal, and it nearly came when a cross from Norman was scooped over the bar by Carlton Morris.
- 1 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 2 Man and woman found dead in home
- 3 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 4 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 5 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 6 Car catches fire after early morning crash
- 7 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 8 Man re-arrested over murder of missing 83-year-old Pat Holland
- 9 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 10 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
Substitute Jamie Eaton Collins saw a shot come back off the upright and Rian Carroll couldn't keep the rebound on target.
Matthews kept City in the hunt when he made a fine penalty save as the visitors looked to kill the game off.
Deep into injury time, Norwich scored their second when Morris timed his run to perfection from a free kick and his glancing header found the net.
• Norwich City Under-18: Matthews, Norman, Wyatt, Hodd (Grant, 55 min), McFadden, Lokko, Hall-Johnson, Carroll (Simpson, 85), Morris, Browne, St Louis (Eaton-Collins, 45). Subs (not used) Gill, Burgess.
• West Ham United Under-18: Baxter, Alaxander, Shaw, Cullen, Hasha (Harvey, 60), Onariase, Bywater, Miles (Knoyle, 85), Boakye Yaidom, Sadler, Mavilla. Subs (not used) Howes, Gogo, Makasi.
• City man of match. Cameron Norman