Norwich City U18s 2, Coventry City U18s 2
Ricky Martin saw his side throw away a two-goal lead as Coventry City staged a second half comeback at Colney to take a share of the points.
With the first team not playing until Monday night Colney was certainly a busy place on Saturday with Paul Lambert's squad training, indeed many of them took the opportunity after training to watch the match.
Norwich created the first opening after some build up play involving Remy Gordon, Josh Dawkin and finally Richard Brindley who fired his shot just wide of the target.
At the other end it needed a timely tackle from Dean Florence as Coventry threatened Jed Steer's goal.
With 17 minutes on the clock the Canaries opened the scoring with Dawkin starting and finishing the move. The City winger made progress down the right flank before sending in a far post cross that eventually fell to Jack Werndly but when his shot was blocked on the line there was Dawkin to slot the loose ball home.
The visitors had a couple of half chances with Jonson Clarke-Harris and Gael Bigirimana going close, but it was Norwich who had the upper hand in the first half and they went close just before the break when Jamar Loza was sent clear but he sent his rising shot just wide.
Deep in first half stoppage time Norwich City extended their lead with a typical trademark goal from Brindley who fired in an unstoppable 20-yard drive beyond the reach of Lee Burge in the Sky Blues' goal.
- 1 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 2 Part of A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 3 See inside this idyllic family home up for sale with NO nearby neighbours
- 4 EXCLUSIVE: The faces behind City's prospective US investment
- 5 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 6 Former coastal restaurant up for auction
- 7 Thousands expected to attend huge four-day steam extravaganza
- 8 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 9 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 10 Multiple fire crews tackle farm blaze overnight
Norwich started the second half with a free-kick from captain Matthew Ball that was just inches over the bar, but with 57 minutes on the clock Coventry pulled a goal back when a free-kick from their own half was headed home by Joe Henderson.
Norwich looked to restore their two-goal advantage and it was the fingertips of Burge that denied Werndly when he tried to chip the Coventry stopper.
Taylor McKenzie saw a header cleared off the line while Ryan Oakley fired in the rebound only for his effort to be blocked on the line.
On 75 minutes Ball was well placed to clear the ball off the line but from the resulting corner Coventry pulled themselves level with a thumping header from Courtney Richards.
Norwich failed to respond and it might have been the visitors who took all the points when late in the game Bigirimana sent a free-kick just over the bar.
• Norwich City: Steer, Florence, Gordon, Brindley, McKenzie, Jones, Oakley, Loza (Kelly, 72), Werndley, Ball, Dawkin.
Subs not used: Matthews, Dobbs, Clunan, Toffolo.
• Coventry City: Burge, Phillips, Donald, Daniels, Henderson, Willis, Bottomer, Bigirimana, Clarke-Harris Richards, Wiseman.
Subs not used: Fletcher, Worby, Rankin, Pegg, Garner.
• Norwich City Man of the Match: Richard Brindley.