Norwich City transfer rumours: New head coach won’t be Lincoln City’s Danny Cowley, but the net is closing on the man the Canaries have ear-marked as their new main man
- Credit: PA
Lincoln City boss Danny Cowley could be a future Norwich City manager – but the current head coach vacancy is too soon for English football's blossoming talents.
That's according to Press Association's Nick Mashiter, who suggested on Tuesday morning the Canaries had discussed the possibility of bringing the Imps boss and his assistant, brother Nick, to Carrow Road after a stunning campaign.
The Cowleys led Lincoln to the National League title, securing the EFL's return to Sincil bank as well as a remarkable FA Cup run that made the Imps the first non-league side to reach the quarter-finals in 103 years.
Their recent success follows a meteoric rise from teaching PE to just missing out on league football with Braintree and clocking up three promotions in eight years with Essex non-league side Concord Rangers.
However, that rise also emphases the jump needed for the brothers to take over a City side that will be desperate to turn their final year of parachute payments into promotion out of the Championship and back to the Premier League.
City's thinking seems to follow the same path – although such speculation ensures the Cowley name is circulated for any other clubs wishing to recruit a new coaching team. The compensation required to release the brothers from Lincoln and their new four-year contracts is modest, according to Mashiter.
The Canaries are believed to have past the second interview stage in recruiting their new head coach, which is expected to be sealed before the end of next week.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 3 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 Man dies of collapsed lung after 'busy' hospital meant x-ray was missed
- 6 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 7 Neighbours shock at ‘unexplained’ sudden death of woman
- 8 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 9 Norfolk holiday home named one of the best in the UK
- 10 'Our homes will be destroyed' - Neighbours' fears over proposed pylon route
With the chief candidate in work but keen to come in, it will come down to their season being completed and the respective clubs sorting out the deal before City can rest easy they have their man.