Norwich City striker Martin extends loan deal at Derby
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City striker Chris Martin has had his loan spell with Championship side Derby County extended until the end of the season.
Martin's initial one-month loan spell at Pride Park ended after he scored his first goal in five appearances for the Rams in their televised 2-1 home win over promotion-chasing Leicester City on Saturday.
The deal will be finalised next week before Derby resume their league programme with a Good Friday game at home to Bristol City.
Derby boss Nigel Clough told the club's official website: 'We're happy Chris is sticking around and we were delighted to see him score against Leicester last weekend.
'We have been talking to Norwich for around a week now, so it's good to get something sorted.
'We've been very encouraged by what we've seen from Chris and feel there's more to come from him too.
'He's not played too many games this season so he's been a little short in terms of match fitness and that side of his game will improve with the more games he plays, but in terms of his quality and use of the ball we have been very pleased with him.'
- 1 A47 closed in both directions after serious crash
- 2 Revealed: Where dangerous parasite has been reported in Norfolk
- 3 Possible foot and mouth disease case investigated at pig farm
- 4 Norfolk deli owner suffers severe spinal injuries in Ibiza diving accident
- 5 Care home which has sat empty for four years to be revived by new owners
- 6 Family sue Wetherspoon after man falls to death in city pub
- 7 7 dogs looking for new homes in Norfolk
- 8 'Great relief' as vets rule out foot and mouth disease at Norfolk farm
- 9 Driver died in crash with tractor after misjudging corner on rural road
- 10 Traffic delays after car plunges into underpass in Yarmouth
Clough also hinted at the possibility of a permanent deal for next season.
'We are looking at maybe beyond his loan, we'll see,' he said.
Martin, 24, is out of contract at Carrow Road in the summer, and is not in City's current 25-man Premier League squad.
He is on his second loan move of the season after a three-month spell at League One side Swindon Town where he made 12 appearances and scored one goal.
He has made only three appearances for the Canaries' this season, taking him to a career total of 117 games for the club, in which he has scored 34 goals.