Norwich City star Nathan Redmond in running for Football League award
- Credit: Richard Calver/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City star Nathan Redmond has been named on the shortlist for this season's Football League Young Player of the Year award.
The 21-year-old winger has been nominated alongside Middlesbrough striker Patrick Bamford and MK Dons midfielder Delli Alli.
The England Under-21 international has scored three goals in 40 games in all competitions for the Canaries this season to help Alex Neil's side to within touching distance of a Premier League return.
He has also created eight goals, with only eight players creating more in the Championship this season – one of them being City team-mate Wes Hoolahan, who has 10 assists to his name so far.
The pacey wide man is also likely to be a part of the England squad at the European U21 Championships in the Czech Republic this summer.
However Redmond faces stiff competition from Bamford in particular for the award, as the Chelsea loanee has plundered 18 goals for Boro in their bid to return to the Premier League.
Alli, 19, has netted 14 goals for MK – form which earned him a move to Tottenham Hotspur in January before being loaned back to the League One club for the rest of the campaign.
- 1 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 2 Woman in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 3 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 4 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 5 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 6 Obituary: Doctor, and son of Norwich's recycling empire founder, dies aged 69
- 7 One person taken to hospital after three-car crash on A47
- 8 Father accused of baby girl's murder 'had short fuse and made things up'
- 9 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
- 10 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
The accolade has in the past been won by the likes of Gareth Bale, Fabian Delph and Nathaniel Clyne. Last season the award was claimed by Derby County's Will Hughes, following on from Tom Ince in 2013 and Wilfried Zaha in 2012.
A statement confirming the nominations said of Redmond's season: 'Nathan's form for Norwich City this season has helped drive them on to occupy a regular place near the top of the Sky Bet Championship table in the race for promotion.
'The midfielder has found the net three times this season, with goals against Huddersfield Town, Brentford and Blackpool.
'An established member of the England Under-21 team, Nathan is a fans' favourite at Carrow Road thanks to his pace and skill.
'He started his career with hometown club Birmingham City, making his first-team debut as a 16-year-old, before signing for the Canaries in 2013.'
The winner will be announced on Sunday at the 10th annual Football League Awards.