City ace on Northern Ireland boss’ radar
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City starlet Jamal Lewis is on Northern Ireland boss Michael O'Neill's radar and could be included in the senior side's end-of-season tour.
Lewis has been a revelation at Carrow Road since breaking into the first team recently, scoring a dramatic equaliser at Chelsea in the Canaries' FA Cup third round replay.
O'Neill was present to witness Lewis' injury-time header and confirmed he is monitoring the 20-year-old's progress closely alongside QPR striker Paul Smyth.
However, both players are likely to be part of Northern Ireland's Under-21 set-up as they look to qualifying for the European Championships in 2019.
'Both are in the Under-21s and doing well,' O'Neill said.
You may also want to watch:
'The 21s have two big games in March as well against Spain and Iceland, and they're second in the group so we'll evaluate that and whether we'll leave them with the Under-21s. Certainly we'll be looking at the end-of-season tour and them being along.
'Jamal played very well against Chelsea and I was at the game,' said O'Neill, who recently turned down the chance to be Scotland boss and looks set to sign a new deal with Northern Ireland. 'Paul we know as we took him to France. It was great to see him take that chance so quickly.
- 1 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 2 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 3 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 4 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 5 Family demands answers after 91-year-old dies weighing four stone
- 6 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 7 Cannabis stash worth about £2000 found hidden in home
- 8 Hunt for man in connection with drug dealing
- 9 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
'We want more of our young players to come through our domestic league and more in our 21s to come through.'
Lewis has made seven appearances for City so far this season with his early season involvement restricted due to a knee injury sustained in pre-season.