City ace on Northern Ireland boss’ radar
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City starlet Jamal Lewis is on Northern Ireland boss Michael O'Neill's radar and could be included in the senior side's end-of-season tour.
Lewis has been a revelation at Carrow Road since breaking into the first team recently, scoring a dramatic equaliser at Chelsea in the Canaries' FA Cup third round replay.
O'Neill was present to witness Lewis' injury-time header and confirmed he is monitoring the 20-year-old's progress closely alongside QPR striker Paul Smyth.
However, both players are likely to be part of Northern Ireland's Under-21 set-up as they look to qualifying for the European Championships in 2019.
'Both are in the Under-21s and doing well,' O'Neill said.
'The 21s have two big games in March as well against Spain and Iceland, and they're second in the group so we'll evaluate that and whether we'll leave them with the Under-21s. Certainly we'll be looking at the end-of-season tour and them being along.
'Jamal played very well against Chelsea and I was at the game,' said O'Neill, who recently turned down the chance to be Scotland boss and looks set to sign a new deal with Northern Ireland. 'Paul we know as we took him to France. It was great to see him take that chance so quickly.
- 1 Large aircraft in shape of whale spotted above Norfolk
- 2 Mysterious 'large black animal' spotted roaming in fields near city
- 3 Rare sighting of Northern Lights captured above Norfolk
- 4 City pub to reopen with new owners hoping to bring back 'good old days'
- 5 Farmers call for Norfolk hosepipe ban
- 6 Why is Norfolk not introducing a hosepipe ban?
- 7 Firefighters battling forest blaze near Sandringham
- 8 New planning bid to re-use long-empty pub
- 9 Coastguard hunt for missing woman in early morning search
- 10 Two women in hospital with serious injuries after A47 slip road crash
'We want more of our young players to come through our domestic league and more in our 21s to come through.'
Lewis has made seven appearances for City so far this season with his early season involvement restricted due to a knee injury sustained in pre-season.