Norwich City’s U21s strike late to beat strong Leicester City’s U21s 1-0 in Premier League development action
- Credit: JASON DAWSON
Ray Grant's 84th minute free kick earned Norwich City's U21s an impressive 1-0 Premier League development win at Leicester City's U21s on Monday afternoon.
The Foxes' line up featured the likes of first teamers Demarai Gray plus Swiss international Gokhan Inler and £5m January window signing Daniel Amartey, but Dmitri Halajko's youngsters prevailed to complete a double this season in the elite tier of development football after Ricky van Wolfswinkel and Vadis Odjidja were on target at Colney in the reverse fixture in August.
Norwich's line up featured Harry Toffolo, who is currently on loan at Peterborough where he has had limited first team opportunities in recent weeks, but the hosts had the better chances early on with Ben Killip denying Inler.
Glenn Middleton tested Danish Under-19 keeper Daniel Iversen at the opposite end from close range in an even first half and Gray struck a post after the interval before picking out Liam Moore who had a goalbound effort cleared off the line.
Norwich raced up the other end and had an opportunity of their own to break the deadlock, but Iversen stood strong to turn away Louis McIntosh's deflected shot. Both sides traded blows as Liam Moore nodded over Gray's corner at the back post on 71 minutes, while Elliott Moore put in a fine block to deny Middleton eight minutes later.
Grant who claimed a vital win in the club's battle to stay in the top tier when he struck from a late free kick to repeat his set piece success in the recent 3-0 development win at Tottenham.
- 1 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 2 Mum describes heartache year on from daughter's tragic death
- 3 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 4 Hope for WASPI women as MPs back compensation call
- 5 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 6 Investigations continue after woman on mobility scooter assaults man
- 7 Police on hand as anti-vaccine protesters gather in city
- 8 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 9 'I listen to science': City folk hit back at anti-vax protests
- 10 East Norfolk road closed with firefighters at the scene
• Leicester City U21s: Iversen, Watson, Chilwell, Amartey, E Moore, L Moore, Choudhury (Ndukwu 46), Inler, Muskwe (Barnes 76), Dodoo, Gray. Subs (not used): Maddison, Johnson, Rowe.
• Norwich City U21s: Killip, Ramsay, Crowe, Efete, Toffolo, Grant, Adams, Lewis, McIntosh, Middleton, Ashley-Seal (Sambu 62). Subs (not used): Oxborough, Pollock, Aransibia, Syme.
• Goal: Grant (84)
• Referee: Ben Cooke