Norwich City’s U21s crash to 3-1 development defeat at Sunderland
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City's development squad started their season with a 3-1 defeat at Sunderland's Under-21s on Sunday afternoon in a game that saw the Black Cats' new loan signing Yann M'Vila red-carded after tangling with Jamar Loza.
Josh Murphy struck a late consolation penalty but the hosts scored three goals in a devastating five minute spell prior to the interval to seal the win, although Sunderland played the final 22 minutes with 10-men when French international midfielder M'Vila, playing as one of the three permitted over-age outfield players, reportedly head-butted Loza in an off-the-ball incident after reacting angrily to Loza's tussle with team mate Tom Beadling.
M'Vila was making his first appearance for his new club following a season-long loan move from Rubin Kazan, but the 25-year-old is still expected to be available for this weekend's Premier League visit by the Canaries despite his sending-off at development level.
Norwich's line up featured Josh and Jacob Murphy, with Louis Thompson and Loza joined by Conor McGrandles, but Dmitri Halajko's side were sunk by Mikael Mandron's brace and a strike from American Lynden Gooch from M'Vila's pass.
• Sunderland U21: Stryjek, J Robson, Beadling, Roberge, T Robson, Mavrias (E Robson 84), M'Vila, Agnew, Buckley (Smith 69), Mandron, Gooch (Greenwood 81). Subs (not used): Brady, Talbot
- 1 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
- 2 Can you spot yourself in the Classic Ibiza crowd at Blickling?
- 3 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 4 Norfolk man's relatable videos earn him millions of views and celeb fans
- 5 9 West End shows heading to Norwich in 2023
- 6 New tenant bid for former Argos store on retail park
- 7 Met Office to build 80ft 'golf ball' weather radar after winning appeal
- 8 Congestion eases after crash on outskirts of Norwich by A47 junction
- 9 Brick and flint north Norfolk cottage a stone's throw from the beach on sale for £650k
- 10 7 riverside walks to try in Norfolk with a pub pit stop
• Goals: Madron (39, 44), Gooch (42)
• Sending off: M'Vila (violent conduct, 68)
• Norwich City U21: Killip, Norman, Coker, Crowe (Eaton-Collins 81), Efete, Jacob Murphy, McGrandles, Thompson, Josh Murphy, Loza, King (Grant 70). Subs (not used): Ramsay, Oxborough
• Goal: Josh Murphy (86)
• Booking: Loza
• Referee: P Brown