Norwich City’s Ryan Bennett named in England U21 squad for European Championship qualifier against Belgium
New Norwich City defender Ryan Bennett has been included in the England Under-21 squad for next week's European Championship qualifying match against Belgium.
Bennett, 21, the Canaries' last-minute signing from Peterborough on the final day of the January transfer window for a reported �3.5m, is currently on loan back to Posh and is expected to make his final appearance for them in Saturday's Championship game at Doncaster.
His next duty will then be to team up with England for Wednesday's match at the Riverside Stadium, Middlesbrough, after which he should be available for City's Premier League match at Stoke a week on Saturday.
Bennett won his first England Under-21 cap in the 2-1 win over Norway in October.
England will be looking for revenge against a Belgium side who inflicted the first defeat of their European Championship qualifying campaign.
They will be managed in the Group Eight fixture by Brian Eastick, who is deputising for England caretaker manager Stuart Pearce.
Eastick was head coach for England at last summer's FIFA Under-20 World Cup in Colombia.
- 1 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 2 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 3 Queen flown by helicopter to Sandringham Estate
- 4 Fire destroys roof of Norwich home
- 5 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 6 Wrestler sheds five stone in one last bid to chase his American dream
- 7 Seven of the best locations for a minibreak staycation in Norfolk
- 8 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 9 7 of the best places to get street food on the Norfolk coast
- 10 Taxi driver hopes to be named Miss Voluptuous UK
He said: 'This match is very important to us and one we would dearly like to win, particularly after the loss we suffered away in Belgium back in November. That gave Belgium a lifeline in the group and they are now just four points behind us.'
Former City loan player Henri Lansbury, on loan to West Ham from Arsenal, is also in the squad.